Sinister: The Year of Let it All Come Down

mh843 at xxx.edu mh843 at xxx.edu
Tue Sep 11 23:38:46 BST 2001

I am living about 90 miles outside of New York City.  I was in my college
cafeteria this morning, getting my cottage cheese and apple sauce, when I heard
the radio talking about the World Trade Center.  I thought, "Maybe it is the
anniversary of the World Trade Center bombing, an they are replaying the
coverage."  So I went to class, and people started to filter in with more and
more news of what was happening.  Many of my classmates are from Manhattan.
People were running out of class crying everytime we heard about the next
terrible thing that had happened.  They tried to call their families to make
sure they are okay, but all the phone circuits were busy.  The moms and dads
work in the world trade center, and they had no way of knowing that they were
okay.
My philosophy teacher began exploring the light and dark possiblities for
heroic acts.  He drew the line at rationalizing the terrorists sacrifice as
heroic.  And I was sitting in class, wondering if I could draw the same line.
I felt numb, unhuman, sociopathic.  I am so afraid that I am not so far away
from those terrorists.  I wonder if the emotion they were feeling when they
flew the plane into the Trade Center is like the emotion I have experienced
while in love.  They must have been so in love with their cause.  How many
times have I been blinded by love?  Since that philosophy class, I have spent
all day realizing that as much as any person may be able to empathise with the
perpetrators of such acts, there is no excuse for sympathy.  I do not feel
sympathy.
We had a school wide meeting at 3:00 on the rugby field.  It was a beautiful
day, the butterflies were dancing on the grass.  It was too much.
My best friend, Bunny, watched the planes crash from her 12th floor brooklyn
apartment, as she ate her cereal at 8:30 this morning.
I talked to my Architecture professor, she listened and really helped.  but the
only thing that really worked was when she started talking about the Mies
exhibit at MOMA.  I am convinced that art is the solution to every emotional
delima.  It always makes me feel better.  Plato says that art is the furthest
seperation from reality.  As a philosopher, he sees this as a bad thing, but I
think its great.
I wrote a letter last night naming this year, "The Year of Let it All Come
Down,"  after the Spiritualized album coming out in a couple weeks. I really
only meant it to honor Jason Spaceman for quiting drugs and turning his life
around.  But, now it has taken on a much heavier, unfortunately appropriate
meaning.  Now no matter if I like it or not, it has become the year of Let it
All Come Down.  I wish I could take it back.
Martha