Sinister: Be Strong

garymaher at xxx.com garymaher at xxx.com
Wed Sep 12 01:52:16 BST 2001

You are all wonderful.

Be strong and we will all pull through this together.  People are still
mostly good, and good will prevail.

My house is about 20 miles W of lower Manhattan.  If I go down the street
and look due east, I can still see a thick column of smoke rising
straight up, then turning all of its thickness to the south.  If I didn't
know the awful truth, I would think it was a house fire a few blocks
away.  It's hard to believe it is miles and miles from here.

So many people in my town worked or have loved ones who worked in those
buildings.  Everybody is just numb and overwhelmed -- our minds cannot
fully process the events of today.  So far, everyone I know seems to be
accounted for.  But I know they (and I) are among the lucky.  We seem to
be safe here, but who knows what's coming next?

Perspective:  A lot of people in our world live their whole lives under
these conditions.  I feel for them today more than ever before.  How can
civilized people permit such suffering in our world?  What could be so
important that so many innocent people have to die?

Be happy for what you have -- we all take too much for granted.

And be strong -- we WILL all pull through this together.

Love,

Gary