Sinister: A response from the U.S. east coast

Kimberly Girton kimgirton at xxx.com
Wed Sep 12 03:19:18 BST 2001

I haven't posted in ages, but in light of the terrorist attack, I came to
the Sinister List looking for comfort, some sense of solidarity, a feeling
that people around the world understand the pain we feel at this time, and
send their prayers.

I will thank God every day for all of you on the list, and the fact that you
care about us, no matter where we are.  You are the only reason the voice in
my head that is saying, "The world has gone to Hell" isn't taking over my
entire thought process.

I'd like to thank all of you who have offered your condolences to those of
us on the east coast of the U.S.  As a born-and-bred eastcoaster, a former
college student in NY and a resident of D.C., my entire life - family,
friends - is located within Washington D.C. and NYC.  I am positive I am not
the only one who can claim this story.  I am not the only person who spent
agonizing hours trying to track down family and friends, only to be met with
tied up phone lines and the rebroadcasting of TV footage I needn't see more
than once.  Even once was one too many.  By the grace of God, all of my
friends who worked within a block of the Pentagon are safe, and all I know
in Manhattan who were forced to flee their buildings are safe and accounted
for at this time.  I am VERY lucky.  My father is stuck in St. Louis and
won't be able to leave until Thursday.  A friend, and employee of the NSA,
is stuck in Seattle on a business trip.  As this sort of thing is in the
NSA's jurisdiction to prevent, my heart goes out to her and her coworkers.
They do the best they can every day defending our country.  Ubfortunately,
they are vulnerable to error.

It is indescribable how much those of us who were affected by this tragedy
appreciate the kind words from fellow Sinisterees.  From the bottom of my
heart - thank you.

The other main reason I write is to address the fears stated on this list of
WWIII, etc.  To start: yes, I am angry because someone has attacked U.S.
soil, and my understanding that the U.S. is not particularly popular around
the world does nothing to temper that anger.  The fact remains that this is
my country, and hundreds of thousands of innocent people have been injured,
killed, or otherwise affected by an act of blatant, calculated cowardice.
We will fear for our lives for weeks.  We will jump at the slightest touch
and we will instinctively duck at the sound of aircraft.

I am not an advocate of violence.  I was angry and disappointed when
President Bush took office.  But never have I, nor any of my friends who
have always held the same political sentiments I have, been more consoled by
the fact that we have a world leader willing to do whatever he must to
ensure our national safety.  We find ourselves turning to our leaders for
solace, whether we voted for them or not.  A military jeep drove up my
street earlier today on patrol.  I have never in my life been so happy to
see what I normally condemn as "a symbol of our ability to bully half of the
world."

No one wants WWIII, and that includes the United States.  We will do what we
have to do to avoid it, but I plead with you as a U.S. citizen -- please
support us and our government as we, the American people, have sworn to do.
Criticism of U.S. politics and foreign relations doesn't do a bit of good.
One of my best friends is a staunch member of the Communist Party.  He has
always expressed his discontent with America and our governmental officials.
  Today, in an act signifying the insurmountable nationalism we are able to
muster, he gathered information for enrollment in the U.S. Navy and will be
signing up tomorrow.

It is a sad state of affairs that we have been pulled into a fight out of
which we have previously tried to stay.  Though retaliation is inevitable,
we are STILL a nation focused on laws and human decency.  It is difficult to
maintain our composure as we harbor anger and overwhelming fear, but I am
confident that our leaders will not lash out and add senseless insult to an
injury felt around the world.  Had you asked me yesterday what I think of
our highest political officials, I would have made a "Texan inbreed" joke,
to quote another Sinisteree.  But in the light of the events of the past 12
hours, I am ready and willing to support my government in whatever they
choose to do.

The rescue workers will be on call for days.  We will be cleaning up the
aftermath for weeks.  We will still be in shock for months.  I am personally
terrified to move in a week to a suburb of D.C., as I have been planning to
do for several months now, because our new apartment is closer to the
federal and financial districts of D.C.  I send my sincere condolences to
those who live directly in NYC and in the inner workings of D.C.  None of
our lives will ever be the same.

Please, when posting to the list, which reaches many natives of American
soil, remember that in theory, it is easy to condemn acts of defense and/or
retaliation as excessive, or damaging to the idea of world peace.  But it is
not so easy to entertain rhetoric when every five minutes, another military
vehicle flies over your house, when you break down in tears because you have
finally tracked down an old friend who works three blocks down from the NYC
World Trade Center, when family and friends were scheduled to fly today and
all you can do is thank God they weren't on one of those four planes that
met such a horrible fate this morning.

Though it is small comfort, I will continue to replay in my mind the scene
of our members of the U.S. Congress gathered on the Capitol Building steps,
singing "God Bless America."  It is this unity of purpose and nationalism
that gives me the only comfort I can find.  We as a nation will do what is
necessary to ensure the safety of our citizens, as dictated by our national
leaders.  It is unfair for anyone to ask us to do otherwise.

Again, thank you for your support, and may all of you be kept safe.

Sincerely,
K. Girton
Washington, D.C.