Sinister: it's all been said before

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Wed Sep 12 07:41:18 BST 2001

today started off well. the first piece of news I heard today was the
announcement of the new B&S single ...... hooray, I though. but then, of
course, the other news. I just don't know what to say or think, but I guess
firstly I'd like to say how much I love the B&S Sinister community. everyone
has been so good, so nice, so supportive, and it's great. take a look at
Morrissey-solo.com for a bunch of "we hate Muslims"-type comments. which is
a little premature, given no one knows who did it yet. might be American
para-military a la Timothy McVeigh for all we know. anyway, this list has
been so different, and your posts have warmed my heart. it's weird, living
in a country at the bottom of the southern hemisphere of no strategic
importance to anyone. it's just all feels so unreal.

despite all this, I am happy because Rachel, my friend from DC, lives
nowhere near the pentagon.

shit, i really don't know what to say. to the American listees, I guess I
just have to say hang in there. despite the occasional anti-US thing that
rears it head here every now and then, we're with you.

I've just been talking to my dad about all this. He's Danish, and was in the
Danish army when JFK was killed in the 60's. all the leave was cancelled,
and all of his unit had to sit tight in a bunker underneath the base with
their weapons loaded, waiting for the nuclear bombs to fall from the sky as
WWIII ignited. I guess that's how I feel today ....... (apart from the bit
about the guns)

OK,  have to go now. I have nothing to add, really,  just wanted to say that
here in New Zealand, everyone is feeling for you. the Catholic churches in
all the major cites are saying mass for you, for what it's worth.

hoping tomorrow will be a brighter day ......

Lawrence
(unusually lost for words)