Sinister: Helplessness of another kind

Peter Carter p.carter at xxx.uk
Wed Sep 12 18:02:06 BST 2001

I tried donating to the disaster fund on amazon and it told me that the
postcode for my address is incorrect. The correct postcode for my correct
address. Does anyone know of another way to donate? A website or a number?
Please e-mail me off list.

As for the event, I didn't post before (though I wanted to) because I don't
have anything to say. I don't live in America and I don't have relatives in
NY, so anything I said would probably seem hollow and stupid. The only thing
I want to stress is THIS IS NOT A WAR. People keep saying it's the next
pearl harbour, and the perpetrators must be punished and so on and so forth.
THIS IS NOT PEARL HARBOUR, there is no enemy yet. Even if it was, is would
be Islamic FUNDEMENTALISTS, and not the nation of Islam as people (not on
Sinister I hasten to add) are suggesting. Beyond the event, it is the
reaction that sickens me. People are scapegoating without knowing the facts.

One Sininistrine said her friend was signing up to the Navy. I would urge
her to ask him to reconsider. If, as she says, he has deep reservations
about US politics then this is more than a mistake, it is a tragedy. As a
kneejerk reaction, this could get him into a postion he really shouldn't be
in. What if America decides to go to war against a country who turns out to
have nothing to do with this? How will your friend feel then? To avenge a
pointless killing should there be a pointless killing?

I think at this point this quote seems more than appropriate (much as
in other times I would balk at the preteniousness of it, not to mention it's
cliched nature)...

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he himself become a
monster.
If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you. "

My deepest sympathies to everyone in America... for the very very little
that's worth.

Peter