Sinister: Re: sinister-digest V4 #590

Aspensarah at xxx.com Aspensarah at xxx.com
Wed Sep 12 22:58:14 BST 2001

Hi
this is my first post. i`m in shock, as everyone else is. i`m from portland but go to school in montreal, and prior to yesterday the most upsetting thing in my life was missing the belle and sebastian show last night because i`m at school on the other coast.  now the smaller things seem futile to worry about, don`t they. i`m glad other portlanders were consoled by the band`s words. the only comfort for me has the support of the other students, american or otherwise, and your support dear sinisterees.
i have read all the messages of earlier today, and only ask everyone to consider this: has there ever been a form of military retaliation that does not result in the loss of innocent lives? does any nation have the right to kill complete innocents, even after an attack on their own innocents? to put it another way, if some maniac from the states decided to take the lives of innocents in say, mexico, does the mexican government now have the right to bomb a populated area in the us because the perpetrator could be killed by the bombs?
the u.s. has sponsored many a similar act (read: iraq) to no avail., only to the deaths of people who do not neccessarily support the dictatorships they do not have the choice but to live under.
alright, i`m rambling and i don`t mean any disrespect toward anyone who is suffering.  but i do believe in peace first and foremost, and that as long as revenge and retaliation exist as viable courses of action we will be no closer to the healthy world we all deserve the chance to live in.
i am greatful to each and every one of you, thoughtful and eloquent and heartful sinisteeries, and i`m so glad we can take comfort in each other, even though most of us have never met.
pax,
sarah