Sinister: A vain attempt, but I have to try.

Kimberly Girton kimgirton at xxx.com
Thu Sep 13 03:49:05 BST 2001

To the host: If there is too much about the latest events being posted, I
understand your right to not pass on some posts.  I know my second post may
sound like I am beating a dead horse, but after sharing the comments on the
Sinister list with others, I don't feel that people of similar mind to
myself have been fairly represented.  So I have written one more, and after
I submit this for possible post, I will remain quiet on the public board.
Thank you sincerely for your time.

I know I posted yesterday, and I did not intend to post again.  I understood
when I wrote my post that it would perhaps disturb some of the Sinister
readers.  While I tried to maintain a semblance of composure, I'm sure the
rest of the American citizens on this list understand that it's a difficult
thing to do in the wake of such an event.

First of all, I again want to reiterate how pointless it is to criticize
American leaders and policy. Just as you have asked America not to jump to
conclusions and pointing fingers middle-eastern countries, I ask that you
not jump to conclusions and assume that an angry and excessive retaliation
is the automatic course of action the U.S. will take.

To quote two Sinisterees:

"George Bush was on the telly being illiterate and a complete retard. I'm
sure everyone feels really safe knowing that the worlds most powerful
country in a time of crisis lies in the hands of a Texan inbred."

There are several reasons this comment moves me to speak:
If you read my post yesterday, you'd know I'd have agreed with this
sentiment about G.W. Bush two days ago.  But as the clock turned to 8:45
Tuesday morning, our biggest national conflict was no longer about politics,
state lines, or questionable family "dynasties."  To interject a statement
about yesterday's tragedy with an insult to America's chief executive is a
cheap shot, is unecessary, and is insensitive to U.S. citizens who are
looking desperately to our leaders for reorganization.  We are scared, and
are trying to rely on our established system, whether we like it or not, to
find some sense of order.  To have that system verbally attacked by ANYONE
is unsettling, and the act serves no good purpose.  For this reason, I
absolutely take offense to the statement.

Secondly, of course I don't feel safe.  How can I?  However, my fear is NOT
rooted in knowing who the American president happens to be.  Rather, I fear
for my safety as a natural reaction to a senseless act of violence, as all
human beings would.

Lastly, the United States of America on the whole does NOT lie in the hands
of any one person.  As I alluded to in my last post, it DOES lie in the
hands of our members of Congress and military officials, but MOST of all, in
the American public.  Our country lies in our OWN hands: THAT freedom is
exactly why we were targeted in the first place.  I am not going to pick up
(to again quote) the "World's Most Powerful Country" button and display it
proudly - if there is anything we as a nation have learned from this, it is
that we are NOT invulnerable.  Any position the U.S. appeared to other
nations to have at the top of an abstract political hierarchy was eliminated
the very moment the first plane was hijacked.  If I pick up anything to
display proudly, it will be an American flag, and I will ask my fellow
citizens to hold it with me.

While fears about a "WWIII" are absolutely understandable, and while the
majority of the U.S. shares these fears, I acknowledge that there will
always be people whose first and only response is anger and violence.  But,
as another Sinisteree pointed out, the likelihood of a mass world war is
slim to none.  But also know that the American public is not, on the whole,
bloodthirsty.  We are human and have a right to our emotions, but our
republic is based on a system which elects people so that those who cannot
regain a level head after an event such as this are equaled out by those who
can.  Many criticize our system; I have criticized it myself, but it is now
that we need it most, and we pray it will work for us.  We WILL prove
resilience, but we are NOT out to wreak havoc and destroy indiscriminately.
All we want is for the people who did this to be brought to justice.  To
this effect, I am proud of the way we have handled the situation thus far; I
am proud of the work of our intelligence officers, and I am proud of their
patience.  I am confident we will do our best to avoid unecessary
casualties, as we fully understand that there is no ONE nation responsible.
However, as this attack was committed without regard to distinction between
innocent parties and otherwise (in fact, ALL victims were innocent parties),
the issue is now broken down to every human being's inalienable right to
live.  Someone else made the "live-or-die" decision for thousands of people
yesterday.  I am deeply sorry that there may be consequent casualties
elsewhere.  I feel no less anguish over the possible loss of innocent lives
in any foreign country than I do for the loss of the innocent lives of my
fellow citizens.  But again, it is unfair to ask the American public to roll
over and not defend our right to life.  This was not an attack solely on
America - it was an attack on freedom.  If we do nothing to discourage
similar attacks, it could very well happen again, to other free nations.
The majority of Sinisterees, if not all, live in said free nations.  It will
not be so easy to hear others insult your country and its leaders when
you're still in mourning and looking for SOME stability.  It will not be so
easy to offer a blanket statement on the philosophical superiority of peace:
I don't argue that fact - I am simply saying that rarely will you find in
life a perfect right that is also feasible, especially in a case like this.
I don't intend to be morbid, sound bitter, or sound like I am lashing out.
I am not angry with the people who expressed sentiments that disturb me; I
am simply relaying some of the dialogues going on in the States right now.

On a more personal note, I am still proud of my friend's decision to join
the Navy and will not discourage him -- and I know this statement will be
controversial.  My pride in his decision does not stem from anger or a
hunger for revenge.  I am proud because my friend is putting the rights of
his fellow human beings before his own needs (in his case, this alone is a
first...).  This includes the rights of everyone worldwide.  If the U.S.
chooses to retaliate via miliatry means, it will be on behalf of all free
nations.  I don't believe there is any shame in wanting to contribute to
that cause.

Last week, I would have been the first to join in a conversation about what
is wrong within the United States.  I am still opposed to capitalism on many
levels, and there are so many miniscule political issues about my country
that still trouble me.  But I ask you again to PLEASE be sensitive to all
American Sinisterees, be you stateside or abroad.  The media is always
biased and there is always a degree if misinformation about what exactly is
going on.  So pay attention and seek out all sides of the story before
condoning or condemning any action.  For a lot of us, our world is no longer
able to support ideals about turning the other cheek.  It is all we can do
to clean up the aftermath without crumbling in grief.  Throwing around
rhetorial questions about right and wrong, which can never be perfectly
resolved as humans are inherently flawed, does nothing to help.  In time,
the U.S. will gather again to try to change our own system to better meet
the needs of people worldwide, as I will always hope is a goal of all
nations.  But right now, our job is to gather together in prayer and
rational thought, and handle the situation as it has been presented to us.

Thank you again, a million times over, to those of you who understand our
position as Americans and are offering condolences in our time of need - and
that includes need worldwide, as this has left virtually no one unaffected.
Rest assured that the U.S. will support you accordingly in the future.  Our
idealism insofar as our ability to defend human rights will not be
vanquished.

In equal parts turmoil and resolve,
K.