Sinister: chins up

Stankin' Cooter stankin_cooter at xxx.com
Thu Sep 13 06:12:30 BST 2001

Alright, I’m sorry, I wasn’t going to post. I know you've all got full
enough inboxes already. I couldn’t possibly be further away from all this,
being almost exactly on the opposite side of the world, but that hasn’t
stopped me from spending the last couple of days with a knot in my stomach
and fog in my eyes.

I’m not going to speculate, offer fortune-cookie philosophy, or talk
politics, as although these thoughts bump around in my head in my more
detached moments, I really can’t get away from the thought of the actual
people involved. Hundreds of people have needlessly and horrifically died,
and many more have lost those that they love. Most of them don’t even know
for sure yet.

Many more again will not be able to feel safe and genuinely free in their
homes for some time, having seen what they’ve seen. I know this is about so
much more than that, but that’s really the only terms I can think of it in
for the moment. This in itself is too big for me to get my head around. I
can’t think of a way to say this that won’t sound hollow and meaningless,
but I’m feeling deeply for each and every one of you that’s been touched by
this.

I was actually chatting in #sinister at the time this happened, probably
grizzling on about something completely unimportant, like I normally do.
Some sod drunkenly kicked a hole in my living room wall on the weekend, I
was most likely moaning about that. When Madeleine first mentioned what was
happening, I thought that she was kidding around, or had been taken in by a
hoax. As I switched on the television, and #sinister began to fill up with
people looking for news of those in New York about whom they care, it all
slowly started to sink in. It still hasn’t completely.

I cannot describe the surge of relief and joy I felt as each of the New York
people I know from #sinister arrived. They were all accounted for, and my
very elation at this fact made me feel small, weak and selfish. I was
chatting with people who saw this happen with their own eyes, and they
carried themselves with such grace, composure and hope, that even in my own
shock, I found myself in complete awe of them.

If this had happened in a week’s time, my mother would have been there. The
fact that she isn’t there makes me happy as well, but I’m sickened with
guilt at the feeling, as it means that I’m pleased that of all the people
affected by this, that’s one other person that’s lost their mother instead
of me. I’d like to think that we’re all in this together, but my home and
office are still standing, my friends are all alive, and I can still phone
my mum. It would be hypocritical and vile of me to say that I can understand
what many of you must be going through.

When I finally dragged myself home to get a couple of hours sleep, I looked
at the hole in the living room wall. It seemed very small and unimportant.
The world also seems smaller now, and the people in it seem less dissimilar.

Last night I realised that I hadn’t really listened to any music for a
while, or really done anything except try to work, while emailing, chatting
and keeping one eye and one ear on the television. I walked home in the
small hours, and listened to my walkman. My absolute favourite listee had
made and sent me a tape, from New York City, which had reached me just
before this happened. I listened to it, and in spite of myself, I smiled.

We are still surrounded by beauty in this world, and it’s not as fragile as
it seems. Cling to it.

The only thing I’d ask of all the American listees is that you don’t let
this change who you are (even the ones I normally bicker with). That would
be the worst possible result out of all this, and the only way in which
whoever has struck against you can win. You might still want to think about
changing your bizarre selection of breakfast foods, however, I’ve never
understood that ;)

On that note, I’m just going to quickly mention something normal and off
this subject, before I leave you to it. Another of our finest and most
highly decorated listees was kind enough to send me a tape of the Camera
Obscura Peel Session (thanks, Miss Madeleine). It was one of the few things
that made me smile today, and it reminded me who I normally am, and what I’m
normally about. To put it another way, it rocked my arse off. So, the
maddest of all possible props to the King of Partick and his illustrious
court.

I’ll leave you with even more than my usual consignment of bulk love, and
absolutely every thought that my boss can do without,
	-David.

Oh, and I almost forgot. THANKYOU. I never really understood the meaning of
the phrase 'online commumity' before. You lot are the tops.