Sinister: hand me a panini and play my rhapsody....

Kirsten Kenyon chinacat81 at xxx.com
Sat Sep 15 07:04:56 BST 2001

  it was cold outside today.  i put on a pale blue cardigan and a
plaid woolen scarf and just now, out on the corner for a cigarette,
the wind cut right through and made me shiver.  it felt nice.
  i got up this morning and had the pleasure of hearing richard,
jeremy and will on the telephone.  i couldn't really say anything...i
just giggled a lot and my voice was all morning-raspy when i did try
to talk, and now i feel like sort of an idiot for being so quiet.
they all seem absolutely lovely.  i was just really nervous....sorry
about that.  i hope i didn't make a complete giggly ass of myself.
  my dad was yelling at me, for some reason.  after i hung up the
phone he was gone, and he didn't come back for awhile.  when he did,
he knocked on my door and we talked for awhile and we both cried and
he hugged me and i felt like i was five years old, and i felt safe.
after that, i got in my car and i listened to ella fitzgerald and the
sun shone through my window and i smiled, and i'm pretty sure my
cheeks were glowing.  i went into the little read bookshop and looked
through a photography book for awhile and there were some beautiful
photos of weddings and windmills.
  it was strange to be at work.  a girl brought in little safety pins
she'd decorated with red, white and blue beads, and i have never ever
been a patriotic sort of person, and for as long as i can remember
i've wanted to get out of the US for good.  but i found myself
pinning it onto my sweater and, for the rest of the day, glancing
down at it was oddly comforting.  we didn't play music in the shop
for two hours.  it was supposed to be a time of silence and
reflection.  a couple of girls came in and bought candles and a
sparkly zodiac-sign lighter and i saw them on the street later,
sitting at the bus stop and holding those candles.  you could see a
sort of dim glow on every street corner.  it was beautiful, in the
damp cold twilight.
  a boy i met tonight doesn't speak english, and i was able to talk
to him a little bit, very very slowly, in spanish.   i hadn't tried
speaking it in a long time, and i suddenly remembered my freshman
year of college when i had a spanish class, and our final project was
an open-topic paper, five to seven pages, in spanish. my paper was
called something like "por que yo quiero a vivir debajo el mar,"
which is probably all wrong but it was the best i could do.  i wrote
seven pages about how much i wished i could live under the sea, as
long as i could find a convenient way to smoke underwater. we had to
read the papers in front of the class, and everyone else had written
about don quixote.  it was quite embarrassing and my professor
laughed and laughed and said something about jose cuervo helping me
with my paper.  i don't know what that has to do with anything.  but
it's not sad and it's not scary.  it sort of makes me laugh.
  xoxo
kirsten

Care2 make the world greener!