Sinister: Whistle Past The Graveyard

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Mon Sep 17 22:34:24 BST 2001

ALL THE LEAVES ARE BROWN

Reading the list, I have just seen a couple of on-list
reports of B&S in California. I think the reports were
rather good, though I share the geezer Miller's view
of the tour.

GOIN' ROUND THE HOSPITAL

I don't share my editor's view of the geezer Jonathan
Richman - and you know what that means.

SHE BANGS THE DRUMS

I do share the lass Honey's view of the recent
catastrophe.

TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW, YOU MUST BE HONEST

Still another view, this time mine: our system of law
is meant to have to do with 'justice', not
'vengeance'.
I know that The Genealogy of Morals went some way
(historically) towards deconstructing that opposition:
but that is not supposed to be the self-understanding
of 'Western society'. To venture into an action of
wanton destruction as a response to wanton destruction
is the kind of thing for which 'the West' - with all
its contradictory, half-realized legacy from the
Enlightenment - jails people. To slaughter more
innocents is vengeful response to the death of
innocents, but not a just one. But the United States
has shown scant respect for 'international law', in
its various forms, over the last two decades - and
probably a good deal more - in any case; which makes
the invocation of NATO clauses a blue herring. And the
leader of the US will decide, whenever he likes,
whether 'war' has been declared on the US: but the
many acts of aggression which have been perpetrated by
the US and its pals have not been accompanied by the
'dignity' of a declaration of war. If I am not
mistaken, further large-scale acts of violence will
produce... further large-scale acts of violence.

A PORT IN EVERY GIRL

I am told that there are good golf courses in the East
End of Glasgow. I believe that some of them even come
with bars of their own. I enjoyed the lad Gillanders'
post about events in Scotland. He looks to me like a
rival to the lad 96. Where is 96 to defend his crown,
I mean, croon?

LOVE HIM DO

I have lately had cause to delve in and out of seven
Lloyd Cole albums. I can now tell you that the result
is that LC *really is* ace - it wasn't just a figment
of my polemical imagination.