Sinister: helo, WTO stuff, the strokes, B&S, simon & garfunkel, marrige, Hawaii

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Sat Sep 22 20:42:57 BST 2001

'lo folks

well, it looks like the fallout from the WTO bombing has fallen off enough
now for me to post without offending anyone sensibilities. It's been a
strange last few weeks. one of my friends in London has been holed up in his
flat since the 11th, not leave apart from work (close by), waiting for the
bombs to start falling.

I really can't see America committing to a land war. My Dad was in Vietnam,
and I've talked to him and a bunch of his friends in the US, and they all
say land war in Afghanistan will make Vietnam look like a picnic. Dubya may
be at the height of his popularity now, but once American kids start coming
home in body bags it's be another story.

damn .... I mentioned it, in the course of not mentioning it.

anyway, onto the post proper.

***THE STROKES***
I must be the only person in the world to think that The Strokes are
actually kinda shit. Am I? Am I? Back me up. I am convinced that the whole
thing is actually a bit of a joke on the NME's past.
NME hack #1: "Remember how we got everyone to like Gay Dad for a few moments
back in '99, and then we destroyed them buy turning on them like the feral
dogs we are"
NME hack #2: "huh huh huh ...."
NME hack #1: "lets find a band who haven't even released a single yet and
see if we can convince people they're THE NEXT BIG THING".

OK, so they're not terrible ... rather them than NSYNC. But ....
a) they have no b-sides. every track on their first two singles was on their
album. So if you've got the two singles you're essential buying 5 or 6 news
songs. Which, from a 33 minute album, sucks.
b) that guy Casanova has a crap hairstyle.
c) people are comparing them to my beloved Television. THERE ARE TELEVISION
GUITAR SOLOS WHICH ARE LONGER THAN THE ENTIRE STROKES ALBUM. Virtuoso
musicians these people ain't.

OK ... rant over.

***STUFF ABOUT B&S*** (Katrina & Neil, please read .....)

amazon.co.uk is listing "Storytelling" (presumably the soundtrack) on their
site as an import/pre-order. But only a US version. It's supposed to be
coming out on November 17th. Is there a tracklisting yet. Is the album ALL
B&S stuff,or is the CD split with the music of the guy who wrote the other
half of the score? Is it purely instrumental music, or are there songs too?

Also, according to the amazon.co.uk site, the US release date for "Season
Has Arrived" is a lot earlier than the US release. Is this true, or a
glitch? Damn, I'm so excited about this whole new B&S thing ......

***SIMON & GARFUNKEL***
... are fantastic. I shelled out for the newly remastered versions of their
albums a few weeks ago. Really fantastic band .... so underrated in the 60s
cannon. Everyone on this list should rush out and buy "Bookends", knowing
how impeccable my taste is, and wishing to emulate me.

no really, c'mon guys ........

***GOIN' TO THE CHAPEL AND I'M GONNA GET MARRIED ....***
I tie the knot in just under two months now. I am both excited and filled
with fear. Also, I'm supposed to be going to Hawaii for my honeymoon, and
a) America may be at war
b) NZ's national airline is about to go bankrupt.
bollocks.

***HAWAII***
Are there any sinister listees in Hawaii? Specifically in Waikiki (or
nearby)? On the off-chance, mail me, and I'll buy you a drink or a coffee or
something, and you and I can meet up and bore Vanessa, my new wife, with
talk of pop music.

OK, I'm out for breakfast .....

Lawrence