Sinister: He has left us alone

MyMomSays at xxx.com MyMomSays at xxx.com
Sun Sep 23 20:44:51 BST 2001

Sinister,
    "He has left us alone but shafts of light still bless the corners of the
room" is an album by A Silver Mt. Zion.  This album is incredibly sad. A
while back I read that the record was written for a member of the band's dog,
who was dying of cancer.

    Two days ago my mother woke me up and told me that my dog, an aging,
blind and deaf 15 year old Cocker spaniel, was "not doing too well". She also
informed that her and my father were taking him to the vet, and that if
nothing could be done--well, they were going to put him to sleep.

    I'm selfish. I know my dog has been dying for a while now, but I don't
want him to go.  I milled around the kitchen for a few hours that day,
sipping coffee, and I put on the A Silver Mt. Zion album, hoping, somehow,
that would make it all better.

    My dog always gets into the kitchen's most lower cupboards where the
cereal is--I will hear a rustling and go downstairs to find him with his face
in a box of cheerios.  I left the cupboards open, and I remarked to myself
that now.. well, it wouldn't matter if I left them open.

    I often find it weird that my dog's name is "Reggie". I remember when we
took him home, before hand the whole family went to eat at Taco Bell and we
discussed names. I was all for "Timmy" (I have no idea why.).. my little
sister just sat there and gurgled, and my older sister said
"Reggie"--everyone agreed it had a nice ring to it.

    So after all that moping and listening to sad, depressing dead dog
music.. my dog came home afterall. He has bad arthritis. But he still looks
sad.

This post sucked and I'm sorry,
Mandee May