Sinister: For MyMomSays and in memory of my dog

Grainne Lynch g.lynch at xxx.com
Mon Sep 24 10:26:47 BST 2001

Last Sunday Lucy died. I'm not sure how to react to the death of a family pet, but I did dream about her last week and I woke feeling at odds with the world.

She has left a gap. We'd had her for over ten years so I pretty much grew up with her as my pet. I have a million mermories of her.She used to sleep on my bed sometimes and I'd curl up beside her, and at night or in the morning she'd get under the covers with me and curl up at my belly.

She was able to catch food in her mouth, but as she got older she lost that trick.

She used to stand in the backgarden and scratch her back on a branch of a tree, and sigh with pleasure.

She would grab the post as it came through the letter box and scatter it around the hall. I have letters and postcards with teeth marks in them. Then she'd want to tear dowm the driveway after the postman.

When she was younger she'd play football, which involved Lucy standing over the ball and barking when anyone tried to kick it.

When we moved house she spent two days barking outside the door in the rain, because she wasn't allowed in the new house. She had the softest ears - they were like velvet. When you rubbed her, she'd sit down and give you one paw and then the other. She used to prick up her ears at the weird noises on Doctor Who. She didn't like mushrooms, but would eat the raspberries off the bush. She was able to curl up on the kitchen chairs and when you told her to move, she'd just wag her tail.

Now she's gone. I know this because I saw my mother bury her. She was more upset than I was, almost in tears, and she made me go inside.

Gráinne.

http://clubs.lycos.com/live/events/september11.asp