Sinister: List mum message - please read

Linda Kerr lulou at xxx.org
Wed Sep 26 21:15:21 BST 2001

Hi everyone

List rules message!!

There are a lot of new people on sinister and welcome to you all.   I, in
case you don't know, help Honey out with running the list, and we try to
make it a good place to live.

This is a mailing list for the band Belle and Sebastian and their fans, and
is not only to talk about Belle and Sebastian, although it is nice when that
happens.  The list has been going for 4 years and has always had lovely
posts from lovely people, and many people have made good friends here.
However, one list rule is paramount.  A list implodes when it starts to
discuss itself, and it has always been a rule on sinister that there should
be no discussion of list content on the list itself.  If you have been on
other lists which have gone bad, then you will appreciate why this is a good
rule. If you have a problem with something on the list, mail Honey or myself
and we will try to sort it out.  If you don't like one particular topic, the
best way to counteract this is to start another you are interested in.

A second good rule is please remember there are nearly 1500 people on the
list, and anything you write will not only be read by them but will also be
kept in the archives for all eternity.  Some time and effort put into a post
will reap rewards...posts which say  simply say "I agree" or "I disagree",
quoting the above post, don't really make very interesting reading, if there
are lots of them.  Try to use the15 minutes Sir Cliff Richard or the Dalai
Lama expect and the list will still be the lovely place it has always been.

I always say in these cases, I am not getting at anyone in particular.
Please don't feel that the finger is pointing to you.  There has just been a
wee trend towards list content/short posts recently.

On a nice note, Honey says that the photo gallery is fixed and the archive
(4 years worth) is fixed (good for checking if something has been
done-to-death before, or if you really *did* say you liked Babylon Zoo in
1997), but there is still a problem with the search engine, but Honey has
the plumbers in to look at it.

Oh, and A Taste of Honey is on Carlton Cinema in the UK at 11pm.  If you
haven't seen it, it is a brilliant film, and worth paying for repeats of The
Bill the rest of the time.

Linda
Surrogate List Aunt