Sinister: magnetic stroms and others

Stefano Santabarbara stefano.santabarbara at xxx.it
Thu Sep 27 07:42:19 BST 2001

Dear All Sinister

	I'm posting after a while but it has been great to hear voices from you all
during these days which has been really dramatic. When something of this
proportions happens there is always the risk of say words which can simply
sound rhetorical and/or empty. Which is exactly what the media does every
time getting a shade of ridiculous over the most serious and worth happenings.
I don't think I'm going saying anything else more of what has already been
said, which will be just not redundant. I would only like to add a little
comment about the future reactions, which can be simplified in the question,
is revenge an answer? Moreover, will this so called "war again terrorism"
really hit the terrorist or just reflect over innocents, and build up the
background for hate which will in turn result in senseless (for equilibrated
and neutral point of observation) action as the one happened in the U.S or
the little but much continuous happening, or which had happened so
frequently, in Israel? Look at the war in the Gulf, has it resolved
anything? Everyday people is dieing in Iraq because of embargo, which also
strikes innocent, and not the so called guilty, if we would admit that
Saddam is, for example. Can innocent blood wash the blood of innocents?
Isn't it just the basic of terroristic action, killing for killing. But If I
should say that, it is even worst if the most powerful nation in the world,
the U.S, and all the occident will act this way, because while the terrorist
will never be able to strike a defined target, such as say the President, or
governor, or the chief of the army or anything, all this country can do a
war, if the want, which will not reverse that much on the civil, as the last
examples has been (Iraq, Bosnia, Serbia). I'll be the happiest people around
if the Taleban regime will be defeated, but that is not because of a war
against terrorism, or for the fact in N.Y.C. or Washington, rather for the
conditions, especially of woman, which are far from that which belongs to
human being. But this was well know even before, but none of the so called
"big" and "civil" country did anything for that, or would have done, unless
the other tragedy happen. Do we ever need to be so shocked to react
sometimes to evidence?

Part (b)

	Second point, a kind of a philosophical. Thinking at the fact in N.Y.C. and
combining it with recent facts happened in my very little universe, I turn
wondering about the role of fate in every day's life . Ok, I should admit
this is not really a "new" or particularly bright topic, either don't know
why I said it could be in philosophical kind, but well this is the point.
I'm really not one of the people who believe in everything being set by a
obscure predestined design. I'd rather say I'm in general of the opposite
opinion, rather humanistic, of a man being the "faber" of his own existence.
Which is quiet a pure but poisoning, or better corrosive attitude to look at
the things. Obviously I mean that in general terms as constrains and
boundaries may be considered. And all the my wondering about of the last
days has been around this boundary conditions and eventualities. Briefly do
you think there are things that no matter the effort of the wish you could
put in to realise, will never turn the way you would love to, simply because
the don't belongs to you? Here is the matter of the fate, which has pointed
you to or far away your quest
.
To make a long story short, and not getting into detailed speculations which
has led me to the answer, I think the answer is "yes". I would love to hear
more opinion about that
 I think I've been to self influenced to get out of
it clearly
.mhmhmh
 sounds confusing at the end

 Sorry for the long post,
    Take care
       your sinister
Stefano

Stefano
Centro CNR Biologia Cellulare e Molecolare dell Piante
Sez. Fis. Veget. Fotosintesi
Università degli Studi di Milano
Via Celoria 26
20133 Milano