Sinister: So farewell then, Peter Miller & Mistopher Christopher & Vancouver & Pernice Bros

Martin_F_Conneely at xxx.ie Martin_F_Conneely at xxx.ie
Fri Sep 28 16:54:09 BST 2001

SO FAREWELL THEN PETER MILLER
I knew I shouldn't have gone away for the summer.
My reading of the list was patchy and when my eyes were averted, PJ Miller
apparently vanished.  So, no more EDIT SEARCH for MILLER when it's safe to laugh
aloud on reading the list.   I was sure he would have been snapped up by some
mag to do a musical agony aunt column ages ago - maybe he has.  Enjoy the
retirement anyway, Mr Miller and thanks for all the laughs.

A small consolation is that Jenowl seems not to be in any way related to Mr
Miller and continues to write.  Since he is departing, or has departed, I
presume that I'm not committing the sin of writing about the list.  Well Mother
Teresa told me that Cliff said it was okay.

MISTOPHER CHRISTOPER
Mistopher Christopher aka Chris Leonard used to be a joy to read too.  He played
in Dublin last weekend; doubtless B&S will be putting up MP3s of his gig for
downloading.  He was support for Joan of Arse's launching of their new LP.  Joss
who was on the list wonce plays with JOA.  Postpone buying the Reindeers and buy
JOA instead (coincidentally Reindeers were playing the same night in another
Dublin venue).  The LP is on a small label called Scientific Laboratories, which
is not unrelated to the same Joss.  I couldn't got to the gig because I wanted
to drown some fish in air and the west of Ireland is a good place for that. But
no fish were attracted to the worms.   Maybe they were stressed with the falling
water levels - we may be getting the kind of weather that the South of France
used to get.  Is it that kind of weather that makes the girls pout?  And if it
moves here will the French girls stop.

VANCOUVER
Global warming messed up my first visit to US/Canada too.  I visited some of the
B&S venues beforehand.  For the first time since records began, it rained in San
Fran on the 25th June, the only 25th of June I was there.  I froze on the
Pfeiffer Beach at Big Sur.  But Western Canada hadn't had rain for 27 days and
Vancouver was an amazing place.  It struck me as being as opposite to Dublin as
one can get - all the coffee shops and juice bars and bookshops and
rollerblading and skateboarding and swimming and walking and bicyling.  And
hordes of people looking so energetic and healthy. I envy Robyn Fadden and any
other Vancouverites on the list. Some native told us that V-ites are usually
very disappointed when they visit other places.  Well, maybe she meant Dublin
and places like that because who could be disappointed on visiting Florence,
Prague, Stockholm or Edinburgh. But re. Vancouver, I'd love to read stuff set
there.  Last night there was a small reference in a play called Tiny Dynamite.
I also read a short story in The New Yorker by Alice Munro which was an
excellent piece of writing.  Also a lot about the Captain after whom V is so
called, in Jonathan Raban's book.  Any other stuff?

Odd thing was that Vancouver was the first city where the skyscrapers were
really a plus and looked so well and it seemed a good idea to keep lots of space
clear by concentrating people in the skyscrapers.  Now I'm not so sure.

PERNICE BROTHERS
I loved Stacey Dahling's piece on the Pernice Brothers, especially her lack of
enthusiasm about Joe the man as opposed to Joe the musician.  I've won tickets
and tshirts and stuff for their Dublin gig tomorrow night, though I'd planned to
go anyway.  Except that all of them except Joe have fled back to the US.  Maybe
they are going to reform the Scud Mountain Boys behind his back. I hope he gets
the lush sound though I don't know how he can on his own.  I've heard too much
stripped down stuff recently - I begin to think it's because the stripped down
sounders are unable to do anything else.  Overcome By Happiness the song is
topclass, especially since it's about not being Overcome. If all else fails, I
hope he puts on the CD in the background and sing over it.

So now, Honey's helper, doesn't the above prove that a posting can be too too
long.

All the best and back to sleep for another 2 years.  Which song refers to
"rising at the crack of noon"?

Martin C
Senior Sinister Section
[the F is against my will!!}