Sinister: all the working girls are fine

Rachel Playforth Something.Pretty at xxx.com
Fri Sep 28 19:46:26 BST 2001

i just got my photos back from RAH! today, and it brought back all the
sweaty excitement, although due to my relatively short stature there are
some schoolgirl heads in every shot.  also i was a little disappointed that
my picture of struan dancing like a LOON just looked like a picture of his
stationary back, but i suppose that's what video cameras (and memories) are
for.

i was quite shocked to discover this week that i am officially unemployed.
i mean, i knew that when i came back from holiday i wouldn't have a job, as
such, but i didn't really think it through, you know?  still, it's given me
a chance to pretend to be a real writer, which is entertaining (until i find
in poetry review that some 17-year-old whippersnapper is publishing her
first collection and my dreams of being a child prodigy take another
battering - i've just got to face up to the fact that at 23 i'm too sodding
old to be a phenomenon.  though at this rate i could be the *oldest* person
to publish a first collection, maybe.)

i think i might try to get a job in borders, which i swear is where they
sent all the indie kids to die after brighton turned its back on all things
flared, floppy and woolly.  those tags round their necks aren't just staff
id, they actually set off a central alarm if an indie kid strays beyond the
ghetto:

"code red!  we've got a bolter!"
"activate locking mechanism. don't let him be seen in the street!"
"get back inside, you. don't you know you're only fit to pour coffee? there
could be a film crew out there!"

by the sounds of it the new hefner album is dubious value for money.  so
it's lucky that i've got a) a boyfriend who manages a record shop, and b) a
minidisc recorder.......  not that i'd dream of using him as my personal
lending library, of course.  that would be wrong.

but mm... pernice brothers.  make me swoooooonnnnnnnnnn.

props to rachels fruitloop, cornflake, grapenut and non cereal based.  i
might have to buck the trend and be archel toast, because toast RULES.  i
don't know what would happen if i was denied access to toast, probably
carnage.  my biography will surely contain the following passage:
'in the early years of the 21st century, archel's friends became
increasingly aware of her dependence on toast and tea.  the sight of the
last slice of bread was known to induce mild fits, and her housemates at
this time learnt the hard way to leave her milk well alone.'

right.  enough stalling (you could tell, huh?).  i'm off down the job
centre.  (i could whore myself at the labour party conference, i gather, but
the possibility of being attacked by an unholy alliance of anti-capitalists
and suicide bombers has put me off slightly...)

luv archel toast

archel at iname.com

For the best in new writing on the web, visit www.buzzwords.org.uk
Contact us on buzzwords at bigfoot.com