Sinister: I guess I just wasn't made for these times ......

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Sun Sep 30 06:28:56 BST 2001

because everyone is still telling me The Strokes are the best thing in ages,
and I still think they're "a little bit shit" (me, a few days ago) I
appreciate that I'm opening this up again, but I *did* start it.

And it's just a preamble for me to say .......

***THE NEW HEFNER ALBUM IS GENIUS***

I can't understand the antagonism towards "Dead media". It is a brilliant,
brilliant album. Sure, there are analog synths and drum machines, but the
album has pop tunes a-plenty. Think Darren fronting Grandaddy, with slide
guitar. It's really really ace. you'd be a fool no to go and buy it today.

And I don't suffer fools ........

There are two other albums all 1500 of you need to go out and buy, too.

The first is "The Hill For Company" by Sodastream. I suspect this will most
likely be the least promoted album of the year, and will slip by without
anyone really noticing it. But if you like heartbreaking acoustic guitar
pop, fragile vocals, nice production etc. etc., you should check it out.
"Looks Like A Russian" was a real highlight from last year, and this one
doesn't disappoint.

David Moore and Katrina House, I'm sure you concur, right?

The other one is "Slum Clearance" by The Siddeleys. The Siddeleys are a late
80's, female fronted guitar pop band, sounding, musically, a wee bit like
The Smiths. They made three singles, recorded two Peel Sessions, and despite
being potentially "the next big thing", they broke up soon after. This 16
track compilation rounds out their entire recorded output, and is really
really good. Check out www.siddeleys.com for more information if you're
interested ....... but it's great, I swear.

I appreciate that this post has amounted to little other than a record
review. Sorry ... I am tired, and a bit frizzled by the SPRING SUN (ha ha
Northern Hemispherians) and am about to fall asleep with a good book ......
Plus, I've been organising wedding stuff all day, and am feeling a bit out
of it. Stress stress stress.

OK, I'll shut up now .......

Lawrence