Sinister: abscence, umm..., atp, RAH gig and music stuff.

nafees saeed nafees at xxx.com
Sun Sep 30 17:12:25 BST 2001

hello.

umm... it's been quite a while since i last wrote to this list so i've kinda
forgotten how to do it.  so bear with me.  not that there's a any technique
to simply writing an e-mail but, i suppose you need some form of
structure...maybe you don't.  it's just an e-mail after all.  i don't know
why i haven't written in so long... just didn't feel that i had anything to
say.  not saying that now i do, just it's one of those sunday afternoons.
the ones where you just sit around your house not doing the work that you
should be doing listening to music.  so... umm.  i'm fond of the word 'umm'
both whilst writing and whilst speaking.  i don't know whether it's actually
a word, or just a sound... umm... it's good.

a-ha(!) i've found something to talk about.  atp.  atp this year was rather
good.  actually no, it was very good.  i know it's probably a bit late to
talk about it now, but i figured i might as well.  it was the first time
i've been to atp and it was very good.  i met some of you sinister people
too which was nice.  i met this one sinister-type person and we were
discussing what a collective group of sinister-folk should be termed as.  we
settled on sinister-eenies or something like that.  anyway, it was a rather
good weekedn plenty of fun had by all i'm sure.  i'm probably going to go
next year seeing as though will oldham has been scheduled to play.  they're
having two different events next time aren't they?  that'd be good.  i
suppose it means that more people will get to go... which is always nice.
so hello to every sinister-eenie i met there.

another event i went to that probably had lots of sinister-folk was the RAH
hall gig.  i would of liked to have gone to the picnic before-hand but i had
my friends with me and picnics aren't their thing.  i would  have gone to
the preston gig as it was nearer to manchester but it would've been just as
much hastle getting to preston as it would've been getting to london.  i've
never really liked london too much before this trip but for some reason i
came away loving it...well not loving it, but there was an extreme liking
towards it.  it was really weird to have such a strange sense of
anticipation before the gig.  i've never really had that before a gig, and
it was a nice feeling.  i suppose it was just the build up.  it was good
getting to the tube station then going in that tunnel thing towards the RAH.
we didn't know where to go after that tunnel thing ended so we asked
somebody who said  "just follow the librarians" which i found really funny
for some reason.  i think the RAH was a good choice for a venue.  everyone
inside was just so nice too.  people just sitting down on the stairs and in
the corridors just talking and drinking, which is always good.  we got there
early, and the support...umm...person wasn't really up to much so we just
walked around.  we sort of took a sight-seers internal tour of the place.
although the staff were a bit weary of us.  which i suppose is fair really.
we also did something bad.  well i don't know if it was bad, maybe slightly
naughty [i love that word].  we booked our tickets late, so we had to get
seated ones, which we reasoned was better than nothing.  when we got there
we just walked down into the standing bit.  nobody checked our tickets so we
just stood there.  talking to some people who went to the strokes gig in
london a few days ago.  the gig itself was amazing.  it's the second time
i've seen them, and i suppose this time was the best.  it was like someone
playing all your favourite songs in a really nice place.  everyone seemed to
enjoy it too.  dancing and stuff.  it was really good to look up and see
everyone in the seats dancing away.  even the ones in the seats right at the
top...made me smile.  another thing.  there was this bit where stuart
invited people to come up on stage and sing.  these people went up, three of
them i think.  one who looked like morissey.  i volunteered to do it, which
is very unlike me.  i think halfway through 'the state i am in' one of the
ladies shouted 'sinister'.  so hello to her.  you did very well,
considering.  just in case you're wondering, i wanted to do 'get me away i'm
dying'... the only song they didn't do, *sigh*.  after the gig was good too,
we met some people and wandered the streets of london in search of a kebab.
we got one...eventually.  nice weekend, best thing to do just after finish
your exams.

speaking of exams, i did mine this year.  i did well, which i'm happy about.
i started sixth form...which is a bit dull.  i take my mini disc to keep me
company... which i'm sure you're all really interested in.  so i suppose i
should talk about music.  it's been a good year in terms of music i think.
i've found loads of good stuff.  one of those being will oldham.  i jumped
on the bandwagon at 'ease down the road'... which is a rather amazing album.
i then went out and got the rest of his albums, all 673953347 of them.
they're all rather good.  although my friends make jokes about them, usually
around the theme of 'a mule bleating to death whilst singing about sleeping
with his sister'...heh.  umm, this year i found the strokes too.  lovely,
brilliant strokes.  i noticed some people on this list don't think much of
them but i reckon they're rather superb.  compared to a lot stuff around
they're so good.  another nme-loved band i thought were good, were the white
stripes.  i haven't heard their other two albums, but i think 'white blood
cells' is rather good.  what else did i stumble across? umm... ahh that
magnetic fields album '69 love songs'.  somebody mentioned it to me a while
back...how good is that? i only just got it a few weeks ago, i don't think
i've stopped listening to it since... i love that guy's voice.  bjork,
vespertine.  that's another amazing album.  it's not as good as homogenic,
but still brilliant.  one album i am disappointed with though is the new
hefner album.  'we love the city'  wasn't as good as the other two, so i was
expecting this to be really good...but it's not.  it's actually pretty bad.
i think 'trouble kid'' is the only song worth listening to.  i got the new
smog album too, but i haven't listened to it yet.  i love smog.

right, i'm going to end it here.  tonight i'm going to the twisted nerve
anniversary party in manchester, so if any sinister-folk are there enjoy
yourself.  it should be good.  tomorrow, i'm going to get tickets to go to a
douglas coupland book reading type thing.  he's ace.

apologies for any spelling mistakes, or missed-out words.

take care,
nafees