Sinister: Sinster: Can anyone lend me a calendar?

Caitlin Pigtails wpsalt at xxx.com
Mon Apr 1 12:05:22 BST 2002

In the news today:

"TWEE SCOTTISH POPSTERS TO SPLIT

Rumours are flying that top Scottish folk-pop band Belle and Sebastian
are about to split.  The Glasgow-based eight-piece have released four
best-selling albumbs, and composed the soundtrack to the recent Todd
Solendz film "Storytelling"

According to unnamed sources (Stuart Murdoch's mum), the band have "had
enough" of touring.  "They didn't tour at all in 2000," she said, "and
getting back on the road just reminded them what a slog it can be."  In
addition, several of the band have had solo or side projects for
several years.  Singer and cellist Isobel Campbell has released two
albums as "The Gentle Waves" and is shortly to release another solo
album.  Songwriter Stuart Murdoch is reported as wanting to spend more
time "loving his car", and it is rumoured that guitarist Stevie Jackson
is having trouble paying child support for his large family of
love-children, who are believed to live in Dundee."

In other news, the Queen Mother died.  At first, I thought she would be
resurrected three days later, just to remind us that royalty are
appointed by God.  It hasn't happened yet, though.  Does anyone else
think that if she'd died today instead, noone would have actually
believed it?

More importantly, comedy writer and producer Barry Took died too.
Without him, there would have been no Monty Python -- or, probably, The
Goodies.  Can we have state mourning for him instead?

Also in the news lately -- and seriously, I'm not making this up -- the
current issue of Cat World magazine describes Tompaulin as a "rock
band".  I burst out laughing in the middle of the bookstore.

xx
caitlin

"Them's corduroys, and luscious purple articles they are, too" -- Flann
O'Brian