Sinister: Fw: music by belle and sebastian, visuals by slipknot

Rachel Playforth Something.Pretty at xxx.com
Wed Apr 3 00:58:43 BST 2002

POW! TO THE PEOPLE or, I WAS SURPRISED I WAS INDIE FOR A DAY
I arrived at the Monarch at about 5.30, having found Ken, Marianna and Greg
loitering with intent at a service station.  Once inside, I was momentarily
blinded by the light glinting off the indie glasses of 200 or so troubled
teenagers, but soon found myself in my favourite position of being in a
confined space with a load of gorgeous sinisterines past and present,
including Ben Apps, Mark C, Ally Cook, Sarahs x 2, Paul H, Stevie T and a
host of other old skool siniboys and girls.

SHE CAME FROM GREECE SHE HAD A THIRST FOR KNOWLEDGE
At some point a leather-clad vixen answering to the name of Kalliope arrived
with her champagne-addled entourage of Ruvi, Paul and Nicholas, and everyone
within reach had the breath affectionately squeezed out of their bodies.

KENCHU FAN
Bands were largely ignored in favour of alcohol (including illicit vodka and
red bull from I can't imagine what source...)  But Camera Obscura were
delightful (especially a certain foxy yet modest keyboard player who we
weren't trying to put off by making faces, honest.)  Another modest soul was
Ken Chu, who didn't let it go to his head when we discovered that someone -
possibly involved with National Pop League? - has been hawking 'I Love Ken
Chu' badges to impressionable young boys.  (For the benefit of the ladies,
Ken did look particularly ravishing in his new string bean jeans...)

SWISH COTTAGE
Some dodgy pizza, several drug dealers and one in depth conversation about S
Club 7 later, we were bodily ejected from the building and various people
struggled with their large instruments before Ken, Marianna, Sarah, Paul H
and I followed Ben Apps to his palatial residence.  Two bottles of wine
later and we were in the middle of a full-blown (and revealing) karaoke
session.  About which I will only say: Ken Chu and Dolores O'Riordan -
separated at birth.

THE BOY WITH THE EQUITY CARD
Another highlight of the small hours was witnessing a virtuoso appearance on
REAL TV (well, Holby City) by Ben's brother, aka eligible bachelor of this
parish, Will Haigh.  Whom we hope is available for weddings, birthdays, bah
mitzvahs etc?

DIRTY DREAM #1
My final waking thoughts were confusedly filled with ecstatic murmurs from
Ken and Marianna, who seemed to think they were in bed with Isobel Campbell
and Stevie Jackson respectively (I think it was that way round - I was very
sleepy.)

A FAMILY'S LIKE A LOADED GUN
Then after a slightly delirious #sinister session the next morning (in which
I think Lindsey Baker picked me out of a blind date style line up but
subsequently dumped me for Ken and his Karma Sutra), I went back to
Streatham and played dysfunctional families for a while, discovering that my
dad won't let my step-sister's boyfriend in the same room as him, and all of
my 17000 step-cousins are still little shits.  I made my slightly guilty
escape just as my mentally ill uncle arrived unannounced, and wandered
aimlessly round London with my friend Cat for the rest of the afternoon.  I
would have found this a lot less depressing if there had been any BLOODY
PUBS OPEN.  Still, I got to walk over the millennium bridge and witness the
exciting 'Queen Mother still dead' bustle around Clarence House.

Now I have a whole day of rest and recuperation before joining my fellow
picnic mummies in entertaining a much happier sort of family, and THEN
BRIXTON BECKONS!!!!!!!  Carsmile Steve still has my ticket and is in France,
but i'm sure it'll be fine...

Luv Archel xxx

Rachel Playforth
buzzwords at bigfoot.com