Sinister: I'm on another planet with Chu.

Greg Pallis Gpallis at xxx.uk
Thu Apr 4 02:39:41 BST 2002

I was a picnic mummy, you know. Responsibility. You know what comes next.

Green park. Katherine Whitehorn said "Outside every thin girl is a fat man,
trying to get in". Not relevant, but damn fine nevertheless. Archel was the
real organiser, and you can colour me impressed, all demure wit and bubbly
charm. The books in the bag were impressively obscure. People called me
dapper, that was nice. Some cause happiness wherever they go; others
whenever they go. Can you say Peter Carter? Rachel Sunnyset did. Mao was
played: Hannah Brown threw the cards down in a huff. I drank wine from a
Powerpuff Girls mug and felt fond of my affectations. Mao was played:
Zozmitria, 'Chel (later Apps), Sunnyset. People got some of the rules pretty
well this time. Spaniards arrived. Yorkshiremen arrived. A Sarah arrived,
from Guildford. Her nose glittered prettily. I was scared to ask if it was a
piercing. Mao was played.

Pub. The dandies (and dandess) arrived. Ken arrived too, looking quite the
Legal Man. He brought labels and pens, the hero. The only thing to do was to
make Lo-Fi badges with illustrated puns about our Red Bull swigging hero. So
many highlights - I blagged Bapp's masterpiece: "A Ken Chu-ry of Fakers",
but there was "Chu Ken Not Be Serious", there was "U!G!L!Y! Chu ain't got
not alibi", Ken's own FreakaCHU Pokemon, Nick's "It takes CHU to tango", so
many others. I stuck a spare one, another Daphne & Celeste pun, on the
Gents' drier - it's time we got serious about our cult, got London asking
'Who Is Ken Chu'?

Gig. Gig was flat-out fab. The 'Sebby declined to aim for a total rawk
knockout - there were da hits, LLPJ, TWATTYBUS, DD#2, a moshpit-forming Judy
and the dream of horses (Chu's "Judy and the dream of corpses" made flesh?).
But it was the slowies that stole the show, Seymour Stein (complete with
Ultra-Manly crooning), IIWNTC (and I don't care that "and if I was a
seagull/ would you love me as an eagle" is wrong, it's still a lovely line).
And 'You made me forget my dreams', only presentable on CD, here so
wonderful that it ate my heart out with a spoon. It was a Magic Moment,
honest. Pour finale, a stomptastic The Wrong Girl, then 'Another girl,
another planet'. Which was ace. Duh.

Home. Post. Sleep.

Now, I'll make like a worried shepherd and get the flock out of here.

----
The Boy G