Sinister: Soundtracks

Sam Walton samwaltonyeah at xxx.com
Thu Apr 4 13:47:35 BST 2002

Hello again.

Last night, some popstars played a concert at the Brixton Academy. Before
that, some people met up in Green Park, but the Boy G has already told you
about that. The gig was good, but different from the last tour – there was
definitely a change in sound. This is going to sound silly, but it the whole
performance sounded like soundtrack music – it was a lot more subdued and
bare, but still as pretty and beautiful as ever. I have no qualms about
this, because I like hearing music that is originally designed as wallpaper
played live; you can hear the subtleties that you might have missed when you
were watching the film or whatever. They played a very “soundtrack” version
of LLPJ (without Monica Queen), which I really liked – the song was
performed quietly between Struan and Stevie, it then broke down to just a
drum beat, and then launched itself into something huge and anthemic for the
ending. Awesome stuff.

It was a good gig. Highlights for me were The State That I’m In, You Made Me
Forget My Dreams and Is It Wicked Not To Care. Metro, the free newspaper
commonly found discarded on vacated Tube seats, previewed the band as
“brilliant but gloriously bonkers”. The assembled picnickers in Green Park
guffawed at this write-up before the gig, but the description proved
frighteningly accurate when, halfway through the set, Stuart introduced a
steel band to the show. B&S went off, to be replaced by a bone fide steel
band, who played a rather fetching cover of No Woman No Cry. I thought that
this was a truly inspired, if slightly random, decision, and they really did
funk up the place. Other audience members were not as enamoured with this,
and I think it could be safe to say that plenty weren’t impressed.

But the inclusion of the steel band served to accentuate the fact that B&S
are no longer just a twee-indie band; they’re growing into a genuinely
eclectic outfit. There were so many different styles of music during the
gig: the sleazy lounge-jazz of Don’t Leave The Light On Baby, the flamenco
maracas-fest of Wandering Alone and the punky growl cover of Another Girl,
Another Planet, the reggae step of the guest outfit and of course the indie
sing-along.

I was lucky enough to grab a set-list at the end, and so here is the full
set:

Sleep The Clock Around
Dirty Dream #2
The Magic Of A Kind Word
I’m Waking Up To Us
String Bean Jean
Seymour Stein
Wandering Alone
Don’t Leave The Light On Baby
The Model
<<band leaves, steel band come on>>
Yellow Bird/No Woman No Cry
<<band come back on stage>>
Fuck This Shit
<<steel band leaves>>
The State That I Am In (or Sinister) *
The Boy With The Arab Strap
You Made Me Forget My Dreams
Is It Wicked Not To Care
Lazy Line Painter Jane
Judy And The Dream Of Horses
The Wrong Girl
There’s Too Much Love
Legal Man

Another Girl Another Planet **

* The played TSTIAI, not IYFS
** As previously reported, this is by The Only Ones. Apparently.

Afterwards, I was accosted by Jeremy Breams and Miss Marianna, and offered a
Guest Pass so that I could go upstairs for a drink with the band. Despite
the extortionate prices (£2.95 a bottle!) this was a real thrill. I got to
speak to Beans briefly (although I don’t think he appreciated it much – he
was trying to pull) and to Struan for longer. Thank you VERY VERY much to
Jeremy and, more importantly, Katrina for providing the passes – it really
made my night.

Right then. I’m off the Albert Memorial for a kickabout…

Love

Asm.x

     "He's strictly a pain in the ass, but
      he certainly has a good vocabulary"