Sinister: public service: baseball metaphors clarified

Emily Wilska wilska at xxx.com
Thu Apr 11 18:52:32 BST 2002

Hullo, dears.

First off, although I'm sure someone will have beat me to the punch by
the time this reaches you, I'd like to do my duty as an American and
answer Madeleine's question about using baseball scoring to indicate
sexual progress.  Below, a handy guide.  You can even print it out for
future reference!

First base= kissing (generally with tongue, if I recall correctly)
Second base= hands up shirt
Third base= hands down pants and/or trousers (because, really, it's
both)
Home run= Going All the Way (there's no fourth base)

I hope this proves useful.  I wish I had some interesting background or
insight as to how all of this came to be in the first place, but I leave
that up to one of my fellow countrypeople.

While I'm envious of everyone who has gone or will go to see B&S
(although I saw them here in SF last September and therefore can't
whinge too much), I'm particularly envious of JDS, whose concertgoing
also entails significant European travel.  Wouldn't *I* like to be
puttering about in the UK and Italy, pausing only long enough to attend
gigs?  (Rhetorical question; I would indeed.)  I suppose I shall content
myself with a trip to Phoenix this weekend, which, while wildly Not the
Same Thing, will at least allow me to fetch myself something of a tan.
Priorities.

The last gig I saw was the New Pornographers last month as part of Noise
Pop.  It was fantastic, and made me love Canadians even more than I do
already.  You, there--go check out tNP right now.  I can almost promise
you won't be sorry.  http://www.thenewpornographers.com/

So, inspired by (or totally copying, depending on your perspective) the
bf's recent foray into this realm, I've given in and have created a
little blog-type thing.  I'm sure you have many, many more important
things to do, but in one of those late-night moments in which you find
yourself willing to waste time on absolutely anything, perhaps you'd
like to investigate http://divert.blogspot.com.

Or perhaps not.

I've probably bored Chu enough by this point, so I'll bid you adieu and
a bientot.

xo
Emily