Sinister: More reporting back of gigs: Brussels & Lille

Aton Aton.Vdwae at xxx.be
Fri Apr 12 15:09:31 BST 2002

There has indeed been a lot of reporting back of gigs lately, and I
will continue this trend, though - to be honest - I'm only writing
this so that the people I met at the Brussels and Lille gigs have my
e-mail address.  In fact, I would much rather leave this post blank,
but that would probably be stretching the 15 minutes rule. Even for a
slow typist like me.

Until about a week ago, I had no idea there was such a thing as a
Belgian chapter of Sinister. Now I do, and I must say I'm happy to
have met them.

First of all, there was the picnic. Which was grate (do people still
use that?). In attendance were (in no particular order):

- the lovely Annie (thanks for everything)
- a Brazilian couple who I think were called Marcio and Marcia
- wee Rocio (did I spell that right?)
- Wen (who for some reason insisted that I would post to the list)
- picnic mummy Jule
- and of course the one and only Strawberry Boy

I was late. Partly because I'm not very punctual, but mostly because I
was in no rush to get there, seeing as I'm usually not much good at
social occasions where I don't know anyone. As it turned out, I
shouldn't have worried. I know it's something of a cliché round these
parts, but sinisterines probably *are* the nicest people you could
ever meet.

On to the gigs then...

I would say they have earned a place in my all-time Top 5 favourite
gigs list. Perhaps even a place each, with Lille just beating Brussels
(they played "If You're Feeling Sinister" in Lille, plus I had a
better view). But they were both pretty special.

Brussels was special because it was my first B&S gig. Lille was
special because it was a real spur of the moment thing and because
going there nearly cost me my job. But I had had such a brilliant time
in Brussels that Rocio, Annie and Olivier didn't have to try very hard
to persuade me to join them in Lille the next day.

I won't try to recreate separate set lists for both nights, but the
songs I remember hearing are (again in no particular order):

Fuck this Shit
There's too much love
Waking up to us
String Bean Jean
The wrong girl
Don't leave the light on baby
The Boy with the Arab Strap
My wandering days are over
The Model
Wandering alone
The magic of a kind word
Fox in the snow
Seeing other people
Dog on wheels
Is it wicked not to care
Dirty Dream #2
Lazy Line Painter Jane
A Century of Fakers
If you're feeling sinister

In Brussels the encore was "Judy and the Dream of Horses" and a girl
from the audience sang an impressive version of Gershwin's
"Summertime" (with Bill Wells on piano). There was no encore in Lille,
but they did cover the Velvet Underground's "Sunday Morning" (sung by
Stevie) and Isobel had a go at a Serge Gainsbourg song (not a clue
what that one was called though).

Already looking forward to Glastonbury...

Bye,

Aton.