Sinister: i miss my retard fringe

sophia katrina sophiakatrina at xxx.com
Fri Apr 19 03:47:08 BST 2002

Hey Sinister,

My thanks to the benevolent soul who posted that link to the onion page...
Oh, how i laughed...

During my halcyon days at art school (a whole ten months ago), I had the
Funniest Cartoon in the World Ever pinned to my wall. It was from some
godawful teen magazine - possibly J17, or More, or Sugar, or whatever young
people read these days, who knows, and it had been drawn by a self-confessed
art boy from the magazine's art department. He had the art boy circa 1998
down to a t: NHS glasses, the haircut that looked like it had been executed
by a mental patient (I knew someone at college who once told me that this
was teh very look he was aiming for), the bodywarmer, the record bag
containing everything  but records... and each item had a humorous caption.
I can only remember two:

"Flared corduroy trousers, to enhance the art-boy's snake-hipped silhouette
and camouflage fat ankles".

and

"Trainers, worn in the retro-futuristic style. Handy for quick escapes from
'situations' with fellow art boy mobs".

Tragically, I lost the cartoon when I moved house. A tape of Lou Barlow
songs for anyone who can send me a copy...

love as always
Sophia

PS Last night, at 3:30 in the morning, a friend and I emerged from a bar to
find maybe 50 people, all dressed like the Strokes, dancing to soul music on
a car stereo. I think Melbourne may be hipper than I had previously
suspected.