Sinister: don't forget the flowers

Kirsten Kenyon chinacat81 at xxx.com
Sun Apr 21 05:31:01 BST 2002

 it doesn't seem to me that a person who doesn't want attention
should dress like a clown and drive around in a yellow volkswagon
with "PINGO" vanity plates.  in a fit of silliness, i waved gleefully
and made a gruesome face, expecting pingo to wave back, and maybe
squirt water from the flower pinned to her lapel.  instead, she
scowled at me, mouthed something, then floored it and cut me off,
narrowly missing my fender.  there's nothing funny about road rage.
  it was sort of like the time that amish guy gave me the bird out
the window of his buggy.  it just seemed to throw everything off,
somehow.
  nothing much happens around here.  i sit for hours in booth twenty
nine.  sometimes i take part in The Greasy Spoon Jeopardy Challenge,
which might sound mildly exciting but is really nothing more
than a couple of weathered old roofers, a middle-aged fry cook, and
yours truly, sitting around a formica-topped table and shouting out
questions (answers).  you know how it goes.
  the cook tells me i'm his best customer.  "ya know," he mutters
through a cloud of smoke, "ya really are.  all these old farts gotta
have everything just so.  but not you."
  this is untrue, as i certainly do have to have things just so.
it's just an easy sort of "so." black coffee (no need for a spoon)
and ice water, which i never actually drink but always order anyway.
  "see that one over there?"  he gestures somewhat discreetly with
his sooty thumb.  "that's lorraine.  she's gotta have Egg Beaters and
diabetic syrup, half decaf and half regular, and no ice in her
water.  extra napkins.  if you fuck it up, you hear about it."
  i look at lorraine.  she looks like she's been rolled in flour.
there is a smear of matte red revlon where her lips used to be, and
her feet look like two fat yams shoved into moonboots. she's
attacking her scrambled Egg Beaters as if she has to hurry and eat
them before they start eating her.  it's easy to tell that she
learned to smoke through careful observation of glamorous old movie
stars.  she looks sort of beautiful that way, perched there on the
little chrome stool like an orange balancing precariously on a spool
of thread.
  is it worse to be a depressed clown or a mime with something really
important to say?  also, i was wondering...when the first identical
twins were born, what did people think?  when TWO of them came out,
and they looked exactly the same?  and what can you make of a powdery
old woman who wears moonboots and has a crepey neck and watery eyes
and still manages to remind you of audrey hepburn?  (assume that you
love audrey hepburn.)  and finally, a question that has puzzled me
since fourth grade, when i read it in a paperback joke book that i
hid under my bed so that my mom wouldn't know i'd spent my book club
money on a joke book instead of on something like 'anne of green
gables' or 'five little peppers and how they grew' or another
selection that didn't have a drawing of a guy with his finger up his
nose on the front cover:  if a tree falls in the forest and crushes a
mime, and nobody's around to hear it, does anyone care?
  love
  kirsten