Sinister: If You're Sealing Finisterre

lazylinedavid at xxx.net lazylinedavid at xxx.net
Mon Apr 22 17:00:08 BST 2002

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this album yet, but you might want to check out the Geographic label's new compilation, 'You Don't Need Darkness to Do What You Think is Right'. There are some magical songs on it, and appearances from Isobel, Stevie and Mick. It has those filthy Mary Chain brothers playing with their sister, a wonderful Future Pilot song that makes you want to clap your hands like a two-year-old, and a new Telstar Ponies song (with Mick on trumpet) which you just don't want to end. But perhaps the best song is 'Me, on the Beach' by a Japanese band whose name I've forgotten. The woman's voice sounds like a gorgeous brass instrument, the backing vocals and harmonies are lush, and the whole thing is like being stroked all over. But not by the Strokes. The whole album sounds like a mix-tape, in the very best sense of the word. And, like all the best label samplers, it's cheap.

In other news, I saw a piece on Starsailor on CNN Headline News yesterday afternoon. What the f**k is that all about??

Take care,

David