Sinister: my longest post yet: missing children and the good lord below

Bron elf-angel at xxx.com
Mon Apr 22 11:01:07 BST 2002

dear sinister

my day so far has gone from normal to different
events and perhaps all these events are truly
mundane but for some beautiful reason my mind
has likened to the habit of turning common
events into romantic idealisms and destperate
cries for help muffled in pure desire to survive
in a shallow world of hello's and good-bye's.

i woke up to the anticipated beeping of my alarm
across the room, walked over to it and as i
clicked the "off" switch i heard my lips
whisper, "goddamn".  i remembered as soon as i
heard myself utter this word that i had just
been to the candle-light service at church not
even 12 hours before that.  monday started and i
was already a sinner...all at quarter to 7 in
the morning.  i showered in half-conciousness
and threw on some clothes, my backpack, and
jammed my headphones into my ears.  as i started
out on my 15-minute stroll to my 8 a.m. class,
beth orton wailed something about how my eyes
were cinnamon...it was just then that i opened
my eyes for the first time and saw the gray sky
lift all the green from the lawns on campus up
in laud and honor.  the sun wasn't shining at
all, but the earth seemed to be aware of all the
warmth that lied beneath it.

i arrived at class on time, but the professor
never showed.  i felt like a third-grader again,
as if it were a friday and it was my birthday
and the clock had just struck 2:50 in the
afternoon.  when i realized the professor wasn't
coming, i found it ironic how much more awake i
became.

my next class started an hour and a half later.
i was to give a presentation with my group on
computers and their history.  if you're looking
for a subject to present that sounds like it
could be interesting but when you get down to it
is one of the most mundane to hear about, talk
about computers and their development.  my focus
was the 1960's and 1970's.  the girl before me,
speaking from 1945-1959, was simply dragging
herself through her part of the presentation and
as the class was trying to decide whether or not
to even try to give a damn, i heard thoughts run
back and forth in my head---like restless rowdy
children---all of them laughing and
screaming, "1959!  quick!  hurry!  aw man,
you're still talking about 1946!  c'mon 1959!"
and when she finally said, "then in 1959...",
all the thoughts of my mischievous id yelled in
unison, "Thank God for 1959!"  and i lost it.  i
just burst out in laughter.  loud and
uncontrolled laughter.  it took me a whole
minute to apologize up and down and compose
myself.  i was next to present afterall.  the
laughter isn't completely my fault.  it's who i
am.  when i was 7 years old i used to be sent
out in the hallway at school for laughing in
class---untamed laughter that came from nowhere--
-nothing was funny---but the punishment seemed
even funnier.  picture yourself walking down a
long hallway of an elementary school in the
mountains of north carolina---none of this inner-
city shit---and at the end of the hall is this
little girl sitting outside a closed doorway,
laughing nonstop for 10 minutes.  ...yeah...it's
just who i am.

so after my presentation in class i went to the
union for a jalapeno cheese bagel and a cup of
rasberry yogurt.  i returned to my apartment and
sat at my desk to begin brainstorming for my
china research paper due this thursday.  you
don't have to be a genius to bullshit, but i've
found that even this genius has procrastinated
too long to reap what could have been some
exceptional fruit.  i think it's just another
one of those lessons that i need to ponder and
realize is a lesson to learn from before i find
that i've become an irresponsible adult---or
before i find that i've become an adult period.
(is this still adolescence?  am i still in the
same category as a 12 year old even at age 21?)
maybe.  well, no.  aw fuck if i know.
proceeding...

i called laura up and asked how her trip to
boston went this weekend, how things went with
the boy in boston.  the conversation made me
sleepy, at one point i even closed my eyes.  she
was sick with a stomach ache the whole time.
her delirium was still at high tide and her
voice traversed through the curly phone cord
like a slowly restricting boa constrictor around
my neck.  my breathing slowed and her creeping
voice lulled into a lullabye.  i tried to
respond as much as i could to reassure her i was
still listening.  she was telling me of rain and
messes and naps and more messes and more rain.
when she finished, i told her to have a good
day.  we hung up and i laid on my simple bed for
a 20-minute cat-nap of dreams of sunnier days
and all the vines my heart will swing from when
my friend comes and visits me next week on his
way to montana.

not too much longer thereafter, i went to work,
where i'm at now actually, and to my surprise i
was sent to wash dishes.  i went from
professor's student aide to dishwasher.  it was
a switch i suppose.  there had been a luncheon
and somebody forgot the fact that paper plates
are available at the local grocery store.  oh
well.  we saved a tree...i think.  after the
dishes were washed i was allowed to go back to
the usual---the dreaded---work i'm usually
assigned.  i made about a million copies with
colored paper.  the secretaries in the next room
were speaking in low voices of aggravation and
gossip about the higher-ups.  they despised my
presence just as they would have anybody's at
the time but hey i was just doin my job,
ladies.  usually the copier machine is the Bitch
of the Year---as i'm sure if any of you have
ever done office work you know this is always
the case.  but this time around, i knew i had a
million copies to make and knew that if anything
fucked up i'd have to ask for assistance from
the jealousy-ridden secretaries in the next
room.  so i took a deep breath in and exhaled
quietly from partially separated lips.  i put
both hands on the machine and practiced zazen.
over and over i repeated the thought, "be one
with the machine..."  i made sure that the
machine took after me though, and that i did not
blend into its qualities.  the work was done
beautifully and once again, zen saved the day.

peace and love
---your mountain mama sweetheart  X

"The differences between what you hope
for and what you end up receiving are