Sinister: Ease your meat with a squeeze

kchu at xxx.uk kchu at xxx.uk
Tue Apr 23 12:38:11 BST 2002

Sinister:

Ken's back

is quite smooth and non-hairy.  Unlike a wolf, or a peacock, who both have very
hairy backs.  Ken also has a new work e-mail address now look.  woo exciting.

There has been talks on labelling, and conformity into groups, and
classifications..

e.g. r-chel playforth:
>>is there really anyone on sinister who actively seeks to be included in an
obvious clique/subculture (as defined by dress/musical taste mainly)?<<

and danny (who drinks tequila):
>>Apparently whenever people try to describe me in a very one-dimensional way
the word twee always seems to pop up<<

Whenever I think about this subculture business I get confused when I get to the
"indie" subculture.. I figured after a while that it was because there is being
indie, and there's being "indie".  And that being indie is about listening to
yourself, and doing what your personal taste tell you you should do and don't
give a shit about what other people thinks.

Then there's being "indie" which is wearing indie glasses, indie flares, indie
cardigans, indie dufflecoats and only listening to bands that indie people
listen to, and don't give a shit that "non-indie" people think you look rather
silly and you'd have a tough time finding a daytime job with that hair.

But later on a realised that being indie and "indie" isn't mutually exclusive,
because maybe you actually like "indie" clothes, and the bands you listen to are
those you geniunely like, and that's good, but I get a bit mad when people bang
on about being a non-conformist when it is kind of clear that they don't mean
what they say at all (the worst is to be a "non-conformist" which seems to me is
basically getting onto everyone's tits for the sake of it)

But one is much better off being "indie", than indie, (ken's scale of "better
off" is measured by "chances of getting laid"), since by being "indie" you
instantly have a way bigger friend-base (although the term "friend" here is
imprecise) and therefore an instantly bigger gene-pool your can contribute
chromosomes into.

Whereas if you're just indie you lose the advantage of being in a cliche (unless
you're blessed by being indie and "indie", or even better indie and "goth" or
"townie"), your friend base is confined to just the people who are tolerant
enough to not just dismiss you as being strange, or that they kinda like you as
a person rather than as a member of a (debatably) well-dressed gang.

So five paragraphs of bollocks later Ken realises that nothing new has been said
at all, and that being a non-conformist is just a state of mind, and no one
cares.  My attempt to be a "non-conformist" consisted of being "a vegetarian who
eats meat", a wonder that I don't pull very often?  Next I'll be a male lesbian,
or a Chinese member of the BNP.

Modboys and Indieans and Red Bulls
Ken
P.S.: Now that all of the B&S Treasure Hunt clues have been found, I wonder
if the band will release the answers to the clues any time soon.
P.S.2.: Went to ATP this weekend, it was fun but can't think of good reportings
back yet will leave the honours to others except to say that SINISTER FC WON THE
FOOTIE AGAIN!  Props to Elton John.
x-box: Although this is my new e-mail address, crush votes should still go to
pykachu100 at hotmail.com (hint)
Gamecube: Sorry about the big legal shindig thingie underneath... but this is
CONFIDENTIAL you know.......

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT

This email, its content and any files transmitted with it are intended
solely for the addressee(s) and may be legally privileged and/or
confidential. Access by any other party is unauthorised without the
express written permission of the sender. If you have received this
email in error you may not copy or use the contents, attachments
or information in anyway. Please destroy it and contact the sender
on  0870 840 5000 or via email return. This email has been
prepared using information believed by the author to be reliable
and accurate, but DaimlerChrysler Services UK Ltd. makes no
warranty as to accuracy or completeness. In particular
DaimlerChrysler Services UK Ltd. does not accept responsibility for
changes made to this email after it was sent. Any opinions
expressed in this document are those of the author and do not
necessarily reflect the opinions of DaimlerChrysler Services UK Ltd,
or its affiliates.

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT