Sinister: Hilary walked to her death because she couldn't think of anything to s

Sunny set sunnie_set at xxx.com
Tue Apr 23 19:39:57 BST 2002

I was walking along the corridor that runs between the offices and labs. To
get to the toilet from my lab you either have to walk along a corridor and
then down the stairs or down the stairs and along a corridor. I usually do
the former. I happen to think it might be a bit quicker.
That day I had decided to do the latter and was feeling slightly out of
place walking along unfamiliar territory.
About two thirds away along both corridors, or one third depending on you
view of life, there is an emergency shower. Each time I pass it I get an
urge to pull the chain which will empty the entire contents of the tank of
water. The splash would be terrific. The drain is so small and badly placed
I'm sure it wouldn't cope with such a downpour. I imagine the water flooding
into the offices surrounding the shower and people standing on chairs
cartoon style.
Each time I think this thought I worry. Perhaps one day, whilst daydreaming,
I really will pull the chain. I'm sure then the idea wouldn't seem such a
good one. It was at roughly  this point caught mid daydream that a girl
stopped me said:
"I'm to ask you about your dog sometime. I'm too busy now but later ok?"
The girl was gone before I could even nod or even splutter. I was intrigued.
I wondered what she wanted to ask. Was she angry that my dog, now spends
most of her days alone? I feel particularly guilty about that and I hoped if
that was the case she would offer some sort of solution to my problem. How
did she know I even had a dog? Had she seen me and my dog out? Did she think
my dog was cute and slightly quirky or just a bit un-obedient? Maybe she
wanted to buy my dog?
My mind spun with the possibilities.
Later that afternoon she reappeared.
"I was talking to your supervisor and mentioned how quiet you are."
I blushed. I'm good at blushing it is one of my strong points.
"He told me to ask you about your dog"
I smiled. She smiled back then left before I had time to respond. She left
me wondering why I blush when people tell me I'm quiet. And why she cared
enough to ask my supervisor what she should talk about with me. And what I
should have done so that she wouldn't leave straight away?
Take Care,
Rachel