Sinister: work work work....chew chew chew

idleberry idleberry at xxx.com
Sat Apr 27 13:24:09 BST 2002

Hiya..

Its been a while since my last post, so a quick
personsl recap on my life so far,for those of you who
enjoy reading my posts and having a good old nosey
about other peoples lives. (I bet you watch a lot of
docu-soaps and fly on the wall type programmes too,
don't you? Sinister I guess, is a bit like that
sometimes).

I've started a new job,working for The Scottish
Parliament. I'm working in the Bills unit (making up
Bills to be passed and argued by a bunch of MSPs and
turned into laws and stuff.) Its quite an interesting
job. We're up to all sorts of things, including
creating one for children's rights, and one about
windfarms, and one about improving train services, and
one about litter, and one for prostitution tolerance
zones. Its all quite interesting, sort of doing things
that might affect the lives of everyone living in
Scotland. Its not about arguing a case why a law or
Bill should be passed, but collating information from
all sources about the topic, which then goes on to
help crate the Bill itself. I got to sit in a meeting
two weeks ago with lots of MSPs. Lord James Douglas
Hamilton was sitting in front of me, and I was taking
notes for my boss. I had my notes on my lap, and kept
dropping all my bits of paper under Lord James' seat.
The novelty factor still hasn't waned yet. Theres a
big x ray machine for visitors (like at airports) in
reception, and theres lots of police wandering about
who chat to us. I missed seeing the sniffer dogs on
the first day back from recess unfortunately. And
theres is underground tunnel between two of the
buildings. Its quite odd, the other day, when I came
back from lunch, and there was all these protesters
standing outside my office. After five minutes of
politely trying to get passed, I decided enough was
enough and pushed my way through. Nobody was going to
stop me from sitting at my desk eating my Marks and
Spencer sandwiches. But then they were getting cars to
toot their horns as they drove by, which was most
annoying, as it put me off reading my horoscope in the
Metro.
Silly people anyway. There was no MSPs in my building.
We're just ordinary joes and josphines, sitting doing
background work with no influence over what goes on,
and eating our lunch. I keep getting stopped in the
street by people asking questions about the parliament
or about Edinburgh in general, whenever I wear my
seurity badge. I've taken to calling it my wierdo
magnet, and not wearing outside the office anymore.

I got some good news yesterday! I found out that I'm
actually earning more than I was actually quoted by my
agency when I took this job. Two grand more. Two grand
can buy you an awful lot of belle and sebastian tea
towels. In fact, you could probably buy one, and then
when its dirty, throw it away and buy a new one. But
I'm not really going to do that.

I've also given up smoking. I went out last night with
a bunch of pals, and went to dinner and then out to
the Citrus CLub, where I shook my funky booty to lots
of 70's and 80's punky alternative indie stuff. Was it
called indie in the 70's? Anyway, I only had one
lapse, one ciggarette, out of the whole evening, which
is pretty good considering I'd usually smoke about
twenty in a night.
I've only given up for a week, but I'm still quite
happy. I'm chewing nicotine gum like its oxygen.
Seeing as theres been a top ten theme going on in
sinister recently, I thought I'd add my own top ten.
TOP TEN DIFFERENCES BETWEEN NICOTINE GUM AND
CIGARETTES

1. Chewing nicotine gum is not seen as anti social,
but smoking is.
2. You can chain chew and nobody comments on it.
3. Nobody gets upset it you chew the gum while other
people are eating.
4. You can chew the gum in no smoking areas.
5. It costs £5 a pack, but a pack lasts me 4 days. And
that works out as being £4.60 cheaper for every four
days than cigarettes.
6. It doesn't smell, or make you smell, or make your
clothes smell.
7. You can do it at your desk at work
8. Unlike menthol cigarettes, the minty taste of gum
is a lot nicer.
9. Its not bad for your health, nor addictive. It has
nicotine in it, but its not something you can transfer
your addiction onto, it curbs the feeling rather than
give you something new to get hooked on.
10. People are more approving of it than of
cigarettes.

I'm sure theres a lot of better reasons, but those are
my ones.

Anyway, better go...

love
idles