Sinister: Coachella

Michael Vance michael at xxx.com
Mon Apr 29 20:13:45 BST 2002

Hello,

My girl and my friend managed to mosey out of the Sony PS2 truck (where
they had the game I worked on, Spider-Man, showing, how exciting) and
over to the stage just in time for the beginning of the show (it was a
day like that, same with the Strokes, and we even found some tasty vegan
food). I won't pretend to present an authoritative description of what
happened, but here are some things I remember

- Struan coming out with his football
- Songs I remember: Sleep the Clock Around, String Bean Jean, Legal Man,
There's Too Much Love In The World, Dog On Wheels, Boy With The Arab
Strap, a flamenco number from Storytelling, and a bunch of others I know
the lyrics to, but remarkably, not the name... (no Seymour Stein, poor
me) (send bootlegs of Seymour Stein if you love me)
- Struan remarking that they had never played outdoors before, and he
wondered why the fuck not given how nice it was yesterday
- Stevie making fun of Foo Fighters (who were on the main stage) --
"fine band, really"
- Struan changing the last few lines of Boy With The Arab Strap to
address the wafting of Foo Fighters sound across the pitch over to the
stage they were on
- Struan kicking his ball out into the crowd, and the crowd dutifully
giving it back
- Bobby and Sarah leading the crowd in clapping for the Flamenco number
- Struan demanding someone dance with one of the violinists who was
standing up by herself during a song I can't remember the name of
- The crowd asking where Isobel is, and Struan saying she couldn't make
it, but she'd be at the Philly gig, and then some sundry chatter about
"Philly survivors" which sounded like an in-joke that I didn't get
- The Beach Boys number, requested by the drummer, actually, and Stevie
lamenting that it was some of their finest singing and he was sure to
make a mess of it (it was fine)

No encores at festivals, it seems, which is a pity, and I wish people
wouldn't casually smoke pot in the audience, it's rather rude. Oh, and I
looked for some of the Sinister people I know, but didn't see any. Ah
well.

Otherwise, a fine day, not too crowded at the festival, the weather was
lovely, and while expensive, food and water weren't ridiculously priced.

Regards,

m.

--
"Reel around the fountain