Sinister: One dayI will get up early and steal back everything stolen from me

Sunny set sunnie_set at xxx.com
Mon Apr 29 22:07:20 BST 2002

I like train journeys. I like going somewhere slightly exciting or doing
something a little bit different.
I like sitting with my head against the window and music in my ears watching
fields change into cities and cities change into beaches.
It is nice to rush past people walking their dogs, or flying kites or
playing football and to see something you would otherwise miss whilst
sitting staring out of the window at home.
I am patient with delays. Up to a point at least, I'm no saint after-all. I
can sit on the platform watching freight train passing through and signs
hung on chains dancing in the wind. I listen to the echo of the tannoy, the
sound of children playing, and the whistle of wind as a train leaves the
station.

5 years ago I hated trains. I hated a specific hour long train journey from
my home in Shrewsbury to Birmingham where that year I was working.
Each morning I caught the same train into work, and usually the same train
home again.  On a good day I would get a seat by the window facing forwards,
the train would leave and arrive on time and would be relatively warm.

Even on good days each journey was clouded with tiredness, and with
frustration and the sense that my life was slipping away somewhere
approaching Wolverhampton.

I envied the commuters who lived 20 minutes further along the line. I envied
people travelling for fun even more. They stood on the platform at 7.00am
bright eyed and excited. I stood there shivering, with permenent bags
surrounding my eyes.

As the winter turned into summer the days became longer and colour seeped
back into my life.
I heard "me and the major" for the first time and started to imagine the
friendships I could have with my fellow passengers.
There was the old time commuter who drank a cup of coffee each morning
before falling asleep with his mouth open. The thirty somethings who sat
around a table for four, flirting madly whilst boasting about there jobs.
There was even a young girl who may or may not have dreamt of horses. I
became fond of the familiar faces.

Life moves on, as did I. I wonder how many of those people still catch the
same train into work. Maybe one day I will get up early one day and stand on
the platform bright eyed and excited and steal back everything Wolverhampton
ever took from me.

Take Care,
Rachel