Sinister: I took my lucky break and I broke it in two

richard john gillanders rjg at xxx.com
Thu Aug 1 23:16:46 BST 2002

hi and all that.

I went to the national pop league on friday and before it I met stuart murdoch but, yeah, of course it wasn't stuart murdoch it just looked a bit like him if you looked at him the right way.  I shoulda guessed since this guy had a mobile phone even if he couldn't always get it to work.  I wonder if he had "who will buy this beautiful morning?" as his ringtone.  again.  he wouldn't have fooled me since I knew he had an E.  and that kid definitely didn't.  although I might be more inclined to watch him if he had.  coulda turned those pickpockets into a bunch of ravers.  doesn't sound much worse than what they've done with other crap transference of period crap things before.  anyway.

I went to a pub quiz in glasgow on sunday.  we, like, quite won it and by making one of my friends look like a clown and not choosing a fellow scott walker fan I managed not to win the money prize.  we had to make do with the beer prize.  no-one else won the money prize.  that was, like, two weeks ago, I guess.  we went again last sunday and won quite well again and I went up on stage again and the quiz guy, well, he remembered me.  he made some cheap remark about my outfits.  well.  I tried to find out what was behind the green door and it turned out to be paul mccartney and wings.  double-sided, mind you.  not two faced.  actually.  six faced.  although I almost forgot about it.  and other things.  but was reminded and reunited by a new acquaintance.  oh yeah.  but we didn't win the money prize again and I told the dude "see ya next week" and I thought I was funny enough.

oh yeah.  before the quiz.  we went to some INDYMEDIA thing at the GFT.  that was kinda funny but also sort of BORING.  I was amazed when an ally walked in.  turned out he was american though.  I wouldn't mind some american allies.  but no american allys.  my one and only ally was in sweden at the time.  that was what the amazement was for.  that was there.  at first.  not that they looked too similar.  just similar enough that I could make myself believe that I believed it was him.  self-belief has never been a problem.  don't ask me why.  please.

ally said they don't have apostrophes in sweden.  I thought I'd like to live there.  in that case.  IN THIS CASE?  no, not unless I'm thinking of statistics.  it's strange how natural behaviour can be affected, exaggerated when it's known that it's being recorded.  well, I'd prefer no apostrophes to too many.  if you know what I mean.  ally now says that they actually do have apostrophes.  just in the wrong places.  so, it's too much like here.  I think I'll stay put, for the moment.

this moment could last as long as one month.  give or take a day.  I hope it lasts this long.  only.  since after that time I don't know what!  maybe I'll be re-evaluating something I think I'm already re-evaluating.  but from afar.  if I can convince that I am worthy.  and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

well.  I happened, also, to see Stevie Jackson and All his Band on saturday night.  that was good.  they played a bunch of ROCK 'N' ROLL tunes.  bob and mick and stuart were there too.  and that kid that was on the caledonian macbrains shit TV show once and who I had sort of reprimanded already.  maybe last year.  but.  yeah.  another couple of random guys playing and singing.  the bassist looked like he was straight out of the mavericks.  his shirt did.  at least.  although, turned out he WAS some sort of maverick.  a television voiceover maverick, if you will.  if I could, you know.  but.  yeah.  there was some impressive dancing on show.  some people were more impressed than others.  some of us were compressed.  some of us, whatever, repressed.  blah blah blah blah blah blah.

if I had bothered to set this out in chronological order.

I might never have sent it.

I have talked about ivor cutler and person to person file transferring and how a colour, thought by some to be cream or something, was probably just off-white.  and all the time my face was getting less redder.  or not quite as red.  man, these were different occasions, okay?  I don't care.  colours.  I so used to care.

I'd like to visit london at the end of september.  I'm being, almost, sponsored by some.  it seems.  or just.  coaxed.  or just.  being told it would be okay if I did.  I mean.  cuz I said I'd like to.  why would they say I shouldn't?  well, they wouldn't, obviously.  it's nice when it seems like people like you.

I read in the herald today that 'the likes of indie troupe Belle & Sebastian are reviving Van songs such as Brown Eyed Girl."  this was, of course, within a piece about van morrison.  ivan the terrible.  I quite like him but.  we ALL know what 'brown eyed girl' is about.  anyway.  what's this?  B&S are reviving?  as we speak?  no they ain't.  have they revived?  I hadn't thought so.  'brown eyed girl' IS a song by van morrison.  that much is true.

what's it all about?

yeah.  uh-huh.  okay.  yeah.

I don't even mind that this is my least favourite thing I've ever written.  today.

love,
richard.