Sinister: you spent everything you had, wanted everything to stop that bad.

lindsey baker halighhalou at xxx.com
Sun Aug 4 11:48:06 BST 2002

hello sinister.

it's funny how the world stops at five in the morning.

especially on sundays.

i told someone else tonight in a letter about downtown at five a.m. the
streets were all wet with rain and the air, i'm afraid to report, is no less
thick than it was at 5 p.m. yesterday. i drove slowly, looking out the car
windows, wishing that quitting smoking weren't such a chore for me.

and tonight i am wearing this bracelet made of cheap white "gems," the kind
that sort of look like craft jewels a forty-year-old single woman would glue
onto her sponge-painted kitten sweatshirt. big rectangles with clear jewels
of plastic and a sliver backing to make them shiny. you get the picture.

and it was shining in the soft haze of the streetlights and early, early
dawn, and i smiled a little for the first time all day. i thought that if it
were not sunday, and if i were wearing a long, black dress and long, black
gloves, i would head down to the donut shop on the corner of 17th and Q and
buy a cup of coffee and a sweet. and i would find a window downtown with
something in it. clothes or jewelry or music. and i would eat my breakfast
there, waiting for the chorus of moon river to chime in, reminding me that
this is all just a picture anyway.

it isn't real.

but it is real.

it really is happening.

i am ok. i'll be ok. the doctors just have to figure out what's wrong.

and then i have to remember what it's like to be happy, and how to go about
feeling that way again.

***

people have said nice things to me lately. thank you for that.

and if i owe any of you emails (sara, i KNOW i owe you some, along with that
damn parcel that keeps slipping away from me), i promise i shall try to stay
out of hospitals and things this week and write to you fine people.

love,
lou
xo.

to ride and swim like nobody's business! while you're temporarily residing
on our beautiful, secluded island paradise camp, enjoy lessons from friendly
guest instructors such as mandee wright and listen to a different live band
every night (we feature saddle creek gems and omaha rapists)!
dating lindsey is also an available option, so long as conor is off-island.
SIGN UP TODAY!!!