Sinister: Shape Of The World

Caitlin Pigtails wpsalt at xxx.com
Wed Aug 7 20:06:19 BST 2002

Hello, sinister

Mr Trousers reminded me that it's that birthday time of year.  Yes, my
posts are reactionary.  I wanted to tell you something, because of a
few other posts that have been aroudn recently.  But I need to go away
for a while and find the words to say it with.

Places and people change a lot in five years.  Just after Sinister
started, it was a very different place.  The people who posted were
part of a tight little community, it seemed.  I didn't post.  I just
read what the people said, like someone sitting on the edge of a
pub-crowd, smiling at all the jokes but never talking.  I still
remember a few of the posts from those days.  People meeting in
bookshops to find a copy of The Loneliness Of The Blah Blah Thingy.
People walking through Edinburgh in winter - hey, places i knew myself
- and seeing foxes in the snow.  People planning their first picnics.
People complained that B&S's total recorded output didn't fill a C90.

I didn't know anything much about music then.  Now, of course, I still
don't - apart from useless trivia like the real name of The Singing Nun
- but I know that there is so much more that I don't know.  Knowing
more about the level of your own ignorance is refreshing.  I have
Sinister to thank for nearly all of the bands that I love.

If I'd never found Sinister, I still would have changed.  I'd have
changed in different ways, though.  I don't think I'd be the person I
am.  I don't think I'd let myself be the person I am as much as I do.
I would still be trying to make myself be someone different.

People on Sinister don't debate tiny sounds in the background of
records any more.  Did they ever?  There were debates such as: "Which
was recorded first, Elvis or Fakers?" and "The Yellow Album: Twins or
Mirrors?" but that wasn't the point of the thing.  The point was, we
were all thinking in the same general direction.  The band was
important to us, because they touched us all.  The band touched us all,
because we all had something in common.  If Sinister wasn't there, then
we'd still be like that.  We'd just never have come together in quite
the same way.

A couple of years ago, Carey Lander wrote a post wondering what would
happen to us when we get old.  Will there be a Sinister nursing home,
in which we'll all sit mumbling to each other?  It's a beautiful
thought.

Has Sinister changed?  Of course.  Will it keep changing?  Of course.
Will people still write wonderful, inspiring things vaguely connected
to music they love, and send it to a few thousand people around the
world?  I hope so.

love,
caitlin

--
http://www.joannou.net/topofthestairs/

Sinister Recipe Tree archives (not that there are many yet)
http://www.joannou.net/topofthestair/sinifood/

Sinister Questionnaire Results
http://www.joannou.net/topofthestairs/txt/siniq.html

"When life gives us lemons, we just sit there and sulk about it, in the
  corner of the room, in a fetal position."
         - Matthew Henderson, on the Sinister mailing list.