Sinister: Riddle me this, Batboy

Michael Ashbridge MTJ.Ashbridge at xxx.uk
Thu Aug 8 16:13:16 BST 2002

The Boy G wrote:
THE RIDDLE: 100 prisoners in solitary cells. There's a central living room with
one light bulb; the bulb is initially off [...] The prisoners are allowed to
get together one night, to discuss a plan. What plan should they agree on, so
that eventually, someone will make a correct assertion?

Can I just thank That Boy G for completely ruining my lunchtime? I read that
just before lunch and was musing on it privately. Then the rest of my fellow
grad students came over to the lab and I threw it out for general discussion.

There's still a pitched battle being fought out there. The engineers are doing
themselves proud against the logical cannons of the mathematicians and
probability theorists, while the lone humanities student is busily reassessing
her own theories of sociocultural stereotyping. I think blood is going to be
spilled soon.

We've hit on several workable solutions. Too many, in fact. My solution takes
at least 299 days, and there are others who think it can be done sooner. The
issue now seems to be proving which is optimal. I stand no chance whatsoever of
getting any work done for the rest of the day.

Bastard.

- M.

P.S. I wrote several weeks ago regarding my lack of perspective on the Belles
and my disbelief that they could ever make a record I wouldn't like. If they
ever commit "Love on the Marsh" to CD, that'll be the first. Beautiful lyrics,
yes, but MY EARS! MY EARS! argh!