Sinister: the homeless cheese

Paul Field professorpaulo at xxx.uk
Fri Aug 9 16:47:04 BST 2002

I have been reading sinister with interest of late. I
admit, similar to most of you out there I am sure, my
interest in the list varies based on a number of
factors, the chief factor being how much spare time I
actually have to devote to reading emails from
complete strangers. Having a job in an office again,
that is once again rather a lot.

One thought that has crept into my head recently is
does anybody here consider their relationship to be
romantic in any way? That's romantic, not sexual for
the smuttees out there. I ask this after Andrew
Churchman's post. Had he been ending a romantic
relationship it would be decent of him to let his
partner know that he no longer wished involvement with
him or her. And also to point out the ways in which
said person had changed as a reason for his change of
heart would also be fair and relevant. But things, by
nature, change. With the possible exception of Ken's
underwear, Everything. Why should a mailing list be
any different? Whether that change is for better or
for worse is surely a matter of perspective. Many of
the "old guard" will inevitably say for the worse, but
this is just the same as a pensioner saying how much
better things were during the war. Our rose-tinted
spectacles have such intense power when we reminisce.
But I refuse to wear mine coz they make me look like a
ponce.

Sinister is soon to be 5. How many 5 year olds do you
know that havent changed since they were born? It
would be a pretty scary 5 year old had they not.
I wish I had changed since I was 5 though.

Proust may well disagree with my ideas of always
looking back in a favourable light, but then I am not
talking about the perspective of a formula 1 veteran.
It's my great sense of humour and remarkable wit you
love me for, isn't it?

I even look back at what happened on Wednesday with a
bit of a smile now. I can laugh about it now but at
the time it was terrible.

On Wednesday afternoon we had an enormous storm here
in London there was a torrential downpour! It's very
rare to see rain so heavy in England. Anyway, I left
work & went to get the tube, but the district line
wasn't running at all because the track was flooded.
So, Bugger. I went to get the bus to Earls court, but
a lot of people had the same idea and there was no way
I was going to be able to get on a bus for ages, so I
walked up to another station, and as I was walking the
bus I would have got sped past me & through a huge
puddle - soaking me from head to toe, and I mean head
to toe. I got to the other station, managed to make my
way home and everything, though it took me 2.5 hours.
When I got home I discovered that because of the
bloody builders next door being disgusting, messy
bastards, the debris they had left had all been
swilled in the rain to the drain at the entrance to my
house. So the drain was blooked and there was a
knee-hight puddle of filthy water I had to wade
through to get inside. I then got changed into old
clothes & had to go out and kneel in the filthy water
& pull all of this crap out of the drain. Yuk! So
yeah, by the time I had done this and let me takeaway
food etc. get cold, it was late-ish anyway and I was
in too foul a mood.

I belive New Yorker's Brian and Matthew went to Cape
Cod, which is a strange hobby but props to the
diversity of sinister interests. It also brought to
mind jen owl as she had a bit of a cape obsession. I
think 5th birthday celebrations should involve certain
older regular posters coming out of their shells,
including...well, I don't know who's still here, but
you know who you are. Maybe even Calumn could come up
with a competition to mark the event?

For those of you who remember French elena, she's just
called me - apparently we can't have a picnic tomorrow
because it's raining in Paris. Hmm.

We bashed the pegg last night. I think. Did we? Or did
we just knock him slightly sideways?

Also, if its red knicker day soon, is there going to
be else to be on the 5th birthday? Red gloves, with a
finger for each year? Red leather knickers?

The sad news, as far as I am concerned at least, is
that I won't be at a sinister event as I have to
attend a friends stag night. I think!

Therefore I am off.
See some of you tomorrow!
Bye!