Sinister: Don't Worry Baby

Sam Walton samwaltonyeah at xxx.com
Sat Aug 10 20:46:56 BST 2002

Hello Sinister.

Stevie Trouser's post really knocked my socks off. I mean, I know I'm a
sucker for nostalgic writing and a nice ink polaroid, but his post really
knocked my socks off.

As the more keen-eyed may be able to tell, I've started reading Catcher In
The Rye again, for about the millionth time, and I can't help but ape
(albeit badly) Sallinger's style. But that's not what I came here to say.

As the Pet Shop Boys once said, I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing,
but please Sinister, I need an outlet. See, at the moment I should be
frolicking in Brighton with the rest of the York Sinister Massive, but
recent events have put me right out the mood for partying. My surrogate
Uncle Philip (ie not really my blood uncle - actually my mum's best friend's
husband - but a very close family friend and someone whom I care a lot
about) died on Thursday very suddenly, of cancer of the back. Exactly. I
didn't even know you could get cancer of the back. A couple of weeks ago he
just had a bit of a stiff back, and then before you could say "what a
fucking tragedy" he's in intensive care, his immune system's packed up and
he's dead. Which is a real shitter, I can tell you. He was a great bloke,
always with a witty comment or a great piece of advice, and he was only 58.
It's a fucking tragedy of highest order, at least it is through my eyes.

I'm not really sure why I'm doing this, telling 1500 people about someone
none of them knew and now never will, but I guess it's an outlet of some
description.

I've developed a bit of an obsession with the Beach Boys of late, and "Don't
Worry Baby" seems to comfort me and make me cry in equal measure - a good
things at these times. Needless to say, it's been getting pretty heavy
rotation at the moment.

I'll sorry to moan. I'll feel better in time, of course. People tend to feel
better, most of the time, and I can be quite resilient if I try. But at the
moment I just feel like I've had my insides replaced with a load of negative
space.

I think I'll stop now and go and do something that'll make me laugh, or
cheer me up at least. I see an Alan Partridge Marathon beckoning... ;-)

love

Asm.x

     "He's strictly a pain in the ass, but
      he certainly has a good vocabulary"