Sinister: It's like chicken soup for the stomach (RADIO-fest)

Michael Ashbridge MTJ.Ashbridge at xxx.uk
Mon Aug 12 17:02:28 BST 2002

Miss Theaker was asking about good (or new, at least) radio programmes. In my
haste to fawn all over BBC Radio 3's Late Junction yet again, I almost didn't
see that Mr Hewitt got there before me. Here it is on our interweb:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/world/latejunction.shtml

(Verity Sharp = Phwoar. If I had two, I'd certainly give her one.)

And if you're not down the pub of a Sunday evening, the ever-excellent Mixing
It is on the same station at 11:00 pm. It's on the interweb here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/world/mixingit.shtml

And both sites let you listen to the previous week's programmes. Dear old
Auntie, where'd we be without her, hm?

AND, here on Northern Ireland's Radio Ulster we have an excellent nightly
alternative (read: decent) music programme called Across The Line. Never mind
the name; crap word-play concerning the terrorist nonsense here is de rigueur.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/atl/

Those of you in the British Isles should be able to receive Radio Ulster
somewhere on medium wave (AM). Try 1341 kHz. I'd give it a miss on Thursday
nights: the two presenters go across to Radio 1 for the Session in the Nations
slot and ATL plays a lot of seriously off-putting dance stuff.

(Across The Line deserves much more press than it gets. They were the first to
play tracks by Snow Patrol, Reindeer Section, British Sea Power and Mogwai,
amongst others.)

Finally, every weekday evening at 7:15 pm Radio 4 has a programme called Front
Row (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/frontrow/). General review of what's
going on in the arts, television, cinema, books, theatre, etc. Excellent way to
spend a half hour washing the dishes.

Happy to be of service,

- M.

P.S. It's a long-shot, but if any of you kids are planning to go to Röyksopp's
Belfast gig next Tuesday (20th August), drop me a line. I'm dangerously close
to turning up myself, and not nearly this boring in person.

Gamecube: Will the solution to the various treasure hunts be a matter for our
children's generation of historians to unravel, or will some kindly soul at
BANCHORY finally relent and deprive Mr Chu of his raison d'etre?

Bum diddy bum bum: bum bum.