Sinister: haldern and wet feet

anakin_sky at xxx.net anakin_sky at xxx.net
Wed Aug 14 14:44:56 BST 2002

hello.

i'm truly sorry to have to say this, and i guess after this i no longer
deserve to be on sinister:

i was deeply disappointed with belle & sebastian at haldern festival.

 i've just read dimitra's post, and i don't know what happened... i really
love b&s, and they are able to move and touch me deeply, otherwise i would't
be on this list in the first place. but in haldern they seemed completely
fucked up, stoned, moody, listless, uncaring. i say this after having seen
them
in rotterdam in april and having found them absolutely gorgeous and glorious
and tear-jerking there. i guess the main problem in haldern was that the
sound
was really shite, they were way too quiet, the microphone didn't work
properly, etc.; must have been a specific b&s sound problem though, because
gomez
before them and the notwist after them sounded good (and were great.) hm.
also
stuart forgot some lyrics and sang really badly at times, it all sounded
like a bad karaoke show. and it wasn't only me, i was there with a lot of
b&s
fans, and they all seemed to think more or less the same. although i really
loved the songs, and i danced, and i sang with them, and i was still happy
see them, but generally they just disappointed many of their fans.
so, that's out. would love to hear some opinions on whether it is okay to
slag off a gig of a band one deeply loves.
my personal haldern highlight were doves. OH MY GOD, they rocked so hard and
they made me so happy. i was standing right in front of the stage with some
crazy irish, australians, and english people with a rubber giraffe called
jerry. i had so much fun up there, and i was so moved; doves were playing my
favourite song for the first time ever ("sulphur man") and it made me cry
with
happiness.
the other bands that rocked (in my opinion): gomez, cooper temple clause,
savoy grand (heart-breakingly beautiful), mull historical society,
supergrass,
leaves, notwist.
so a smashing festival it was nonetheless, and i had a really cool time,
drinking a lot, dancing a lot, and laughing a lot.
yeah.
so what's the weather like in your parts of the world, because here in
germany we have serious raining that has resulted in flooded areas galore in
many
parts of germany. leipzig, the place i am right now, is like an island in
the
state of saxony, where loads places suffered heavy flooding and a huge
number of people had to leave their homes. it's catastrophic, but hopefully
it
will stop raining soon.

anne.

--