Sinister: oh, you know, the usual stuff...

JohaN HUGO 12813249 at xxx.za
Thu Aug 15 14:58:59 BST 2002

hi again!

so, i wasn't really going to post again, till i had done some
experiments (quickly dashes out and purchases home-made
wurlitzer from the whizz-kid down the block, assumes vincent price
hairstyle and... no, wait, that's not a hairstyle, that's just a badly
insulated plugpoint! damn cheap home-made stuff!), but lizz actually
used (and i quote... that is to say, i cut and paste, because i'd
NEVER get it right) "peripateticism", and surely one can't let that sort of thing
go. boy, if we ever had a giant intergalactic sinister scrabble-evening (or have we? i
forget...)
well, i definitely wouldn't play, but i could bring some brackets, i seem to have a lot
lying around. (it's just my latent parentheticism, i think)

MY SECRET SHAME (pty ltd &c)

ALSO, robin mentioned SPIDERS! now, could i tell you about spiders! no,
seriously spiders THIS big, or actually, counting the legs (well, there'd be 8
wouldn't there? har-har) they'd be about THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS big. and
very very hairy (scary!). well, i'm not ashamed of the spiders exactly (like crabs,
they happen to the best of us. er... uhm they do right?), but finding this one on the
front-door yesterday, i'm afraid i made rather a mess of things... it, to be exact. i
know i know, NORMALLY i'd grab the nearest tupperware container and humanely
remove it, but when it just conveniently crawls into the of the hinge while fetching
said container, a swift slam of the door becomes mighty tempting (did i mention the
size of this mo...edipus?)... well, i'm not proud of what i did, and was in fact
brooding on it a little driving to work 10 minutes later, WHEN ANOTHER ONE
STARTED CRAWLING OVER MY WINDSCREEN, ON THE INSIDE, ABOUT
20cm AWAY FROM MY HEAD! i tell you, thank goodness for red traffic-lights or
the pile-up would have been something. i'm not really one for trashy horror of the
"revenge of the arachnids"-type, or classy adaptations of the classics like "beowulf
for baboon-spiders", but you know when you've got a bit of a guilty conscience...
well, from my new-found position in the passenger-seat i tried to shoo it out the
open window, only to have it drop on the driver's seat! just as everyone behind
me's starting to hoot and everything to get my stalled car moving. the rest of the
drive to work, with a now vanished but presumably pissed-off spider
THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS size in my car was NOT FUNNY!
anyway, so no-one eensy-weensy spider me for a while please!

on a more CONTENTS-related tangent: (and all the boys and girls say
YAAAAYYYY!)
i'm sure this has been discussed at length here before, but still.
how does everyone feel about the tracklistings on the albums? i mean the sequence
of the songs. i've thought about it before, and the storytelling review reminded me
again. for example, it took me a while to realize why IYFS seemed a better album to
me than TBWTAS when the latter actually has more of my favourite songs on it. so
i started playing around with it a little, and i found that, eg. it worked for a lot better
if you went straight from "sleep the clock around" into "ease your feet off", then i
found that i really liked "is it wicked not to care?" more than i had thought, also that
i liked symour stein a lot more when a summer wasting hasn't made me impatient for
dirty dream #2, same with chick factor and simple things and so on.
or, on IYFS, that "stars of track & field" doesn't really work for me as an album
opener, that "iyfs" itself works better somewhere else &c.
and basically, although storytelling hasn't got so many great songs on than some of
the others, basically it always seems a much more coherent album to me than
anything since perhaps tigermilk, simply because of the way it's composed. (of
course, the dialogue bits help with that too).
anyway, i could carry on with this for a while, and like i said, i would have liked to
experiment a little more before sending this, but i was just wondering what thoughts
other people had on this?
one day i would also like to write something on how i think it's strange that b&s
have so many great album-closers, but so few really good openers, but i'll save that
for some content in another post (consider this fair warning!)

well, sorry if this is long and boring. have fun everybody!

love

JohaN