Sinister: Like Elvis, in the movies

idleberry idleberry at xxx.com
Sat Aug 17 12:48:28 BST 2002

hello sinisterians

(sinister ians? no all of you i mean.)

THE WEEK

I'm not feeling to coherent in thought this morning,
so a random collection of thoughts from the vaults of
the mind:

Tuesday: saw two girls wandering round Edinburgh in t-
shirts and knickers and high heels while out for my
lunch.
**************
Thursday: saw Elvis, handing out flyers. I took one
and he said "thanyew veery much, uh huh".
**************
Friday: saw a man climb into an overnight bag and zip
himself into it.
*****************
Also saw Camera Obscura gig, Gordon has reported on.
Thought Tracey Anne was going to cry at one point,
after the splashing incident.
It must be hard actually, I mean, you play a gig, and
you're playing to a crowd like that, and you've
probably been feeling nervous for a while, and hoping
it goes without a hitch. Managing to cope with the
heckles of some ridiculous woman with bad hair and
AWFUL make up in the audience, by brushing it off and
turning the other cheek, and standing in front of two
hundred pairs of eyes watching you. Playing songs,
that you think are good, and hope are good, and meet
the expectations of the paying punters standing in
front of you expecting to be entertained.
Then to get water (I presume it was water, I dunno)
thrown at you, while you're busy concerntrating on
your song, and having those eyes watching you on
stage, in a hot, sweaty venue, theres the initial
shock factor I can imagine as it hits you. You know
the shock you've had yourselves probably, when someone
splashes you with cold water, when you least expect
it, and how your natural reaction is one of shock and
suprise, out of some sort of defensive thing inside
you. Then theres all the gear on stage- your guitars,
your belongings, your electrical stuff, your cables,
your pedals, getting a soaking. Things you've saved up
for and paid for, and stuff that belongs to you. Your
possessions, your belongings, expensive items too- not
just a jacket, or a bag getting a pint spilt over it,
but some deliberately malicious, unprovoked action of
some neanderathal cave woman, against you, and your
guitar, and your friends. One stupid woman, one
ridiculously bad make-up bitch, who the hell did she
think she was.

That silly cow in the audience. The glares from the
crowd, I thought someone was going to lynch her at one
point. Thought Mr Murdoch was damn professional at not
loosing his cool, and hats off to him for dealing with
the situation effectively, promptly, and as calmly as
anyone possibly could have. Fair play to the band.
**********

Met with Mark last night. We went to the gig and when
we came back to mine we went for a walk and saw a fox,
out in the park. It was a big fox, a big fox, maybe a
boy fox. His tail was long and slim, and he trotted
along the path cool as could be with a slight arrogant
foxiness about him, and didn't seem fazed by us
sitting there watching him. I've never seen a fox
round here before. Then I saw a frog, crossing the
bridge. Had to be careful, its dimly lit around those
paths near my home, and theres lots of folliage thats
fallen onto the path. Was worried about standing on
little animals and squishing them. Its a fear of mine.

I remember when I was 16, and went for a walk with
this girl who wanted to be a goth. She was into
vampires and velvet, and books about witch craft. We
went for a walk, and I noticed two seconds too late to
stop her, as she stood on a toad, and I looked back
and its little squashed body had flipped upside down.

I teased her about having little toad eyeballs on the
bottom of her Doc Martens.

I found a dead mouse when I was 14.
I was about to wash my dads car for him to earn myself
some extra pocket money. I went into the garage and
found a bucket. There was water in it, and what looked
like a stick floating in the water. Just as I went to
prod it with my finger, I realised it was a drowned
mouse. I screamed. I felt sorry for that little mouse.
It had probably fallen into the bucket, and drowned
from exhaustion, in the darkness, unable to get out.
And that idea haunted me for weeks.

End transmission.

love
idles