Sinister: Just like the man who's feet are too big for his bed

Sam Walton samwaltonyeah at xxx.com
Thu Aug 29 21:06:17 BST 2002

Hello Sinister.

I finally got back to my house on Monday afternoon, after all the fifth
birthday celebrations. I turned on the radio and was greeted by “Raindrops
Keep Falling On My Head”. It’s such a bloody wonderful tune, and lyrically
is just what I like; I’m a sucker for a lovely melody and a
things-are-shit-but-hey-you-gotta-move-on message. “…I’m never gonna stop
the rain by complainin’…” has been sung in the shower every day this week
(the smart arses among you will no doubt want to tell me that the way to
stop the rain in a shower is to turn off the tap, but anyway), and the song
is generally imbedded in my psyche now.

So hearing “Raindrops…” moved me to dig out my copy of the Butch Cassidy &
The Sundance Kid soundtrack, by Burt Bacharach (from which the song is
taken, natch), and suddenly, whilst listening to it on the bus today, I
realised that I’m a bit bored of songs with words in. What seems to float my
boat these days is musical themes, recurring motifs, dynamics, orchestras,
and not tales of boy-meets-girl in rhyming couplets. Of course, I still
adore songs with words in, but I haven’t heard anything new which makes me
go “wow” for a very long time. It’s probably a phase, and one that will be
shattered by the next B&S release, but for the moment, Storytelling is, by
far and away, my favourite B&S album. I even listened to the other four just
to check, but I’m right, y’know. To me, it just sounds so much more
accomplished, and like a whole album rather than just a collection of songs.
It’s just, well, complete. To those who dismissed it – go on, give it
another try. G’wan. G’wan g’wan. Y’will… etc.

My sister gave birth to her second child yesterday, which was rather
amazing. Now I’m an uncle, twice over, and it’s all very exciting. It’s a
good piece of news, which is rather refreshing given the general theme of
this summer. But I’m never going to stop the rain by complaining, so I
won’t.

Love

Asm.x

P.S. I was going to write a Birthday Post, with lots of Sinister-related top
fives, but I never got around to it. But for posterity’s sake, here was my
nigh-on-impossible-to-compile TOP 5 SINISTER POSTERS OF ALL TIME (in
alphabetical order):
1. Ian Dimensionflip
2. The Pinefox
3. Archel Playforth