Sinister: Belated Felicitations

MWaggner at xxx.com MWaggner at xxx.com
Sat Aug 31 18:49:13 BST 2002

This ink polaroid is of two people hugging in the underground station at
Heathrow.  They are standing in front of the ticket machines, amonst people
and baggage.  But they aren't noticing any of that.

They recognized each other there on the crowded platform right away even
though they hadn't ever met before, or seen pictures of each other.  Oddly
enough, they don't feel that kind of hesitancy or embarrassment of a
first-time hug, it just feels natural and comfortable, like a relief.  Like
two old friends who have always hugged and always will.  There had been
discussion prior to the meeting about how they'd react, about British
reticence and American loudness.  It was amusing to note that the Brit wasn't
in the least reticent, and the American was, for once, pretty subdued.

There is an album full of polaroids of this friendship, taken over the years
on both sides of the Atlantic:  Bowlie, a wedding, castles, sidewalk cafes,
shops of dubious reputation, planestrains&automobiles, crowds of people,
quiet moments, individual portraits... yes, even one at the top of the World
Trade Center.  Some are happy and some are sad.  That's how life and
friendships go.  It's best to look through it while playing Belle and
Sebastian songs, because they are the soundtrack that inspired the
photographs, causing Sinister to be born and bringing two friends together.

But really, this first picture is the one that sums it up -- the friendship,
the past five years, the Band --  that moment of coming together, realizing
that a silly little mailing list really *did* provide the truest friendship
one might ever know.

Happy Belated Birthday Sinister.  I just had to stop by one more time, to say
thank you (I hope this gets through).  Each person here has an album of
polaroids, unique to themselves, and that is a gift.  I may not  be here
anymore, but I continue to snap the polaroids of friends I've made, and my
life is richer for it.  And I carry that hug with me every day.

Michele

p.s.  I've slipped in one extra shot:  that's me holding up a glass of (very
good, very dry) Champagne and wishing the list at least another 5 years for
all of you.  Long live Honey's servers.