Sinister: Danger! High Voltage

Michael Ashbridge MTJ.Ashbridge at xxx.uk
Mon Dec 2 15:00:54 GMT 2002

** When we touch, when we kiss! **

That's Jack White on vocals, right? I want a copy. I need to Google this. Never
will you see a dance floor move into absolute and immediate nuclear meltdown so
fast. (Jack White = yes. Band = Electric Six, formerly the Wildbunch. Release
date = January. Am I the last to know these things? Jesus. Cracking song, tho.)

Ah ha! Those of you in uni/college or otherwise with access to silly bandwidth
can download the video in high-res quicktime format (33.9 MB). Rock on, Tommy.
http://electric6.com/multimedia/index.shtml

** I can take any kind of criticism, as long as it's unqualified praise **

Mark C. said some very nice things (generally, but specfically) about the
nature of all things Sinister. How nice it is to have the freedom to be NICE,
to be able tell someone you think they're fab without worrying about having to
take out a restraining order later or change your name, move to Bolivia and
grow a moustache.

Mark C., you're fab. Many of you are extremely fab, and I may have written to
tell you so. With most of you, however, I'm just waiting for an excuse. If you
can't wait to hear how fab I think you are, write to me and tell me that you're
fabulously impatient and I'll probably oblige. (Exceptions apply; no means no;
think globally act locally; your home may be at risk if you do not keep up
repayments.)

** Eighteen seconds before sunrise **

Much talk/reiteration of Sigur Rós over the weekend. I got () last month, but
either it's taking much longer to absorb than did Ágætis Byrjun, where the
impact was immediate and lasting, or PitchforkMedia did give a fair review:
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/s/sigur-ros/().shtml

Those of you contemplating a trip to the record store, the advice is to seek
out Ágætis Byrjun and listen to the first few minutes in the shop. If it
doesn't put a gun to your head and demand that you buy it, there's no chance
you'll find anything about () to love.

If you do own a copy of (), here is something fun to do. Put it in your
computer's CD-ROM/cup-holder, fire up your interweb, and go to www.sigur-
ros.com. You'll need to click-and-drag the funky banner about for a bit (and
hope it doesn't fux0r your computer), and maybe even register, but you get
access to more of the site. Extended MP3s etc. Let's hear it for pointlessly
complicated web design! (Flash required. You'll need speakers/headphones as
well. It's an audio-visual kinda thing.)

** An interesting chord progression, if progression is the right word **

Finally: voting is open for Peel's Festive Fifty, so hie thee to the booth and
post your nominations for 2002. Voting for session tracks is allowed, of
course, so you might want to pick out your favourite B&S Peel Acres track.
Maybe. But only if you really really liked it. And don't get carried away --
only last week Peely got all shirty because someone somewhere was trying to
organise a coup for their favourite band. It's an individual thing, got that?
Good. Now go vote for B&S (and Ballboy. YES!):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/alt/johnpeel/features/festive_fifty_vote.shtml

Millions of everything beautiful

- Michael

PS. The two of you to whom I owe replies: on their way. Promises, promises.