Sinister: na brilhants suu cap

Dirty Vicar dirtyvicar at xxx.net
Wed Dec 4 21:58:03 GMT 2002

There's been a lot of talk about Sigur Ros lately. My official line on the
Ros is that they are great live but a bit disappointing on record.
Certainly, I bought their first album on the strength of a live show they
did supporting Godspeed You Black Emperor! here once. The concert was
amazing, coupling their otherworldly music to footage of Iceland's lunar
landscape. Deadly buzz. But the record, nyeh, not so good. It all sounded a
bit weedy and wibbly, and it has received little airplay on Vicarage FM.

meanwhile, Shannyjean shaid:

> word of warning: do not do not do not buy the album called something  blah
> blah "angels," a joint effort with a holger hoemloersternstein or something.
> it's truely awful.  i'm sorry.  i don't mean to be a putz, i just don't want
> you making the same mistake i did.  it is bad.  bad bad bad.  blagh.

I beg to differ. I think I bought that disc at one of their concerts (it has
no printed information on it and a plain white sleeve), and I rate it much
more highly than their first proper album. Is that guest singer the volkish
Icelandic singer who guested with them the second time I saw them live? he
is great, a man possessed of a doomridden voice suited well to
incomprehensible Icelandic folk tunes that sound like they are about
freezing to death or having to eat decomposing sharkmeat. Great stuff, I
think I'll put it on now when Viva Hate finishes.

What I like about that record is the way it meshes modernist avant garde
music with traditional tunes. It reminds me a bit of "La Novia" by Acid
Mothers Temple. As you know, Acid Mothers Temple are the Japanese space rock
sensations who all live in a commune together. "La Novia" is a record they
did of Occitanian folk tunes. It's all about the suppression and
extermination of the Cathars by the Catholic French in the mediaeval period,
and it gamely mixes traditional southern French music with space rock *and*
throat singing. I heartily recommend it.

I was in Manchester a few weeks ago, meeting the other B&S fans. They seemed
very nice, and I even exchanged some pleasant words with The Adversary.
Menswear were not mentioned, but we did all have a larf when the club we
were in played Lazy Line Painter Jane for the second time, cause a stampede
of twee fuckers to the dance floor and the rank terrorisation of the less
fey locals. T-b-t bless them.

and may T-b-t bless you too.

DV

P.S. STOP BUSHI'S WAR!