Sinister: Today/Re:Hiding

Dimitra Daisy zoziepop at xxx.com
Sat Dec 7 15:10:01 GMT 2002

Dear Sinister,

On the day Ian walked towards us in the park bringing cheap fizzy wine,
strawberries and a chocolate cake, cheap fizzy wine, strawberries and a
chocolate cake seemed like all one could ask for, all one needs to be happy.
And there are days when strawberries and chocolate and wine don’t mean
nothing.

There are days when the world seems quite hopeless: days when everyone seems
unkind or at least inconsiderate, days when you think the world is so full
of bad or wrong things you’ll spend all your life fighting against them and
you’ll have no energy left to smile. Days that make you think that what’s
written on a wall just up the street is true. “Live for your salary, die for
you country” the wall reads and there are days when I feel that’s more or
less what a lot of people get in this life. And that it is a great shame.

But there are other days, days like the one Ian walked towards us in the
park, or like today.

Today is as cold as days in Thessaloniki ever get (quite cold) and so windy
it’s hard to walk up streets. You can occasionally hear windows breaking,
things falling off back balconies, door slamming and shutters banging. On
top of all this it’s sort of raining too and the pavements are wet and
slippery and full of puddles. I think everyone hates this weather, but I
don’t, at least not today. Despite having a cold and not feeling great,
today I find this weather exciting.

Today the world seems like a place full of light, a place where things could
go right (despite so many of them being going wrong all the time), a place
full with meaningful smiles, colourful things, even niceness and love; a
place where we could be happy.

I wrapped up in as many clothes as I could find and I went to the little
shop on the corner to buy eggs, chocolate and tissues that come in a box
with photos of flowers (guess which bit I like the most, the tissues or the
box). The bloke who keeps it was listening to the radio. The radio was
playing Palm Of My Hand.

Palm of my hand is a rather old Pale Fountains song, of course most of you
don’t know the band let alone the song, but here it was a radio hit if sorts
in the eighties… However it is a very nice (quite Belle and Sebastian-y,
actually) trumpety pop song about being in love, I think. And it’s probably
the only trumpety pop song my first memories of which go way back to my
childhood, one of the very few songs people used to listen to when I was
really little that I would like even if I first heard them now. All this
makes it pretty special, and what with the weather being a exciting and the
world seeming like a nice place today I felt like the universe was smiling
to me.

Walking down the street I walked past the aforementioned wall and I read the
writing on it again, and I realised I don’t agree with it less today… I just
think there really is a way to get from things like that and that trying
won’t wear you out too much... I felt there’s an inherence balance in the
world and we just need to discover it and work with it… My mind didn’t take
me very seriously but the rest of me was celebrating…

And I have no idea what it is that makes some days quite hopeless and some
others so bright. Whatever it is, it seems quite random. What I know though
is that I want a world like the one I see today, can someone give it to me
for Christmas?

Thank you, I will very much appreciate that,
Dimitra Daisy xx

Ps This started out as a reply to Eileen’s post... I’m not sure exactly what
it has to do with it though.

~~~~
Meanwhile, the idea has left its home in the sky and it was travelling fast
through the atmosphere of the planet... it landed on the bed, among us, the
empty cups of tea and the Lucksmiths, Sodastream and Magnetic Fields
records.
  http://www.friendsoftheheroes.co.uk/