Sinister: Am I wandering alone?

sinkingpie sinkingpie at xxx.com
Sun Dec 8 16:36:59 GMT 2002

Music, on sinister?
I'm sure someone said something along those lines, but
I can't seem to find the post, hence no "" marks.

So, music, and Storytelling. Seems to have been quite
a lot of criticism of that considering this is
generally a list of fans, and indeed criticism of the
band's recentness (think I made that word up).

Perhaps Storytelling didn't have the immediate catchy
tunes from the If your feeling Sinister era, but
perhaps that isn't such a bad thing. Some people
evidently are not convinced by this style:

"Here's my take on it: Storytelling was made for a
movie, right? It's definitely not their best work, but
it has some redeeming songs on it, right?....Anyway,
what I'm getting at is that we should forgive them
Storytelling..."

I certainly enjoyed Storytelling, a nice mix of, well,
everything really. From the opening instrumentals, to
the out-of-context spoken word. The more lyrical
offerings of "Wandering Alone" and "I don't want to
play football" of course shouldn't be overlooked, but
the trick with this album is that it is an album, not
merely a collection of songs.

Isobel's departure also should be mentioned perhaps.
At first I certainly thought it was a bad thing, but
if it gives Isobel more time for her solo projects,
then I can see sense. The Gentle Waves sounded amazing
when she was part of Belle and Sebastian, with more
time, who knows what they can achieve.

Anyway, I think I have stayed reasonably close to the
guidlines suggested by ian's mirror, perhaps replies
will happen, perhaps not.

sinkingpie